New member from Falkirk - Outlander PHEV

Just a place for new members of EVAS to say hello.......
Stiloboy

Re: New member from Falkirk - Outlander PHEV

Postby Stiloboy » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Utter claptrap. So far I've seen a number of Leaf owners going back to ICE, on speaking to these users their primary reason is 1. Range of new BEVs hasn't increased as they'd have hoped (generally they've only considered buying more of the same, i.e. another Leaf). or 2. the PCP deals are no longer bargain basement so they've bought an older ICE because it's cheaper to run.

There is no denying that all chargers are in greater use now, however I hardly ever seen an Outlander on any of them, usually it's a slow 3kw PHEV like a Merc or an Audi or ironically a Leaf (the one car you can check if its charger with little more than a cursory glance at the blue lights on the dash to reveal, "oh look its plugged in and not charging").

FYI no one has a "RIGHT" to charge.... CPS have afforded us a privilege to charge in many locations.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:14 pm

I will repeat that PHEV's in general are a welcome addition in the vast choice of car purchase choices of different fuel usages. I just don't welcome them at Rapid's, I don't deny they are legally entitled to do so and acknowledge that, but I put forward a moral case as to if they should really be using such facilities, and intend to seek change in Scotland as it needs taken out of those drivers hands. That is my right to do so, and given the wide spread hostility and controversy on the subject, it should not really be any surprise that the mood is slowly changing, and things are going to happen sooner or later to get the necessary changes required to the system.

Merc's and Audi's on the whole are rare compared to Outlanders and Leafs. I would have thought the lesser seen AC driving Zoe driver would be less subconsciously aware of Outlander's as they are obviously less impacted than a more ubiquitous vehicle such as the Leaf that DC charges. Locationaly you do get spikes and variances. My particular neck of the woods is teeming in Outlanders, and also Leafs. Zoe's are quite rare here. I'd acknowledge other areas of the country may have different issues and certain cars may be greater or lesser in numbers.

To mention instances of a Leaf plugged in and not charging is another discussion or point all together. That could be any BEV though. The Zoe in particular is well known for sitting on 99% charge for hours on end (goodness knows why). I tweeted last year about a Zoe at Hermiston Gait that had clocked up 4hrs of continuous charge before the owner returned, at Hermiston Gate P+R Rapid (Edinburgh). Not sure what the point of us sharing examples of BEV rapid issues is when the pressing and common issue is Outlander charging that Scotland needs to face up to sooner or later, sooner surely being better.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:40 am

I am sorry, iainf1, that your inoffensive new member post has spun off into a ridiculous thread debating the merits of your choice of vehicle.

I genuinely had found this forum to be - by internet standards - a relatively sensible place for discussion of EVs and related subjects, and I am as surprised as anyone by the outpouring of strong anti-Outlander sentiment here.

People should remember that this subforum is explicitly for the purpose of welcoming new members. It is not for experienced members to derail the thread or show hostility to the new member's vehicle. If you must do that, find the relevant subforum and do it there. Or go to speakev, where the angry people live.

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:09 pm

ScotstounPele wrote:I am sorry, iainf1, that your inoffensive new member post has spun off into a ridiculous thread debating the merits of your choice of vehicle.

I genuinely had found this forum to be - by internet standards - a relatively sensible place for discussion of EVs and related subjects, and I am as surprised as anyone by the outpouring of strong anti-Outlander sentiment here.

People should remember that this subforum is explicitly for the purpose of welcoming new members. It is not for experienced members to derail the thread or show hostility to the new member's vehicle. If you must do that, find the relevant subforum and do it there. Or go to speakev, where the angry people live.

Well said: this is a small and friendly group of pioneers: we are all learning from each other, and this is not a place to ridicule people for the choices they have made.
In ten years time, all our current choices will look completely silly - that's called progress.
PS: I'm a keen mariner, and looking for a vehicle to tow a boat to tour Scotland's lochs and waterways: right now the Outlander is the only one that fits the spec.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:39 am

There is no ridicule here, it is just a case of at the end of the day a spade is a spade and an Outlander is an Outlander. It is what it is, and anyone who wishes to highlight that controversial vehicles flaws and detriment to public charging should be and is entitled to do so.

Lets be honest here for a moment chaps. When we all bump into each other at chargers, Outlanders often come up in discussion and the frustration and dismay at these vehicles using the Rapids is commonly discussed. Just think for a second, how many drivers you have met in your time at Rapid's bemoaning the Outlander? Not surprisingly Leaf drivers (being ubiquitous BEV's and DC chargers) are the worst of all at bemoaning the vehicle.

Yes transfer over to public life and the forums to use one example and they all suddenly lose their voice and your left with a handful of nicey-nicey attitudes, which may not even be genuine. All I am doing is refusing to be binded by the PC culture in place surrounding this particular topic within electric driving. So I am talking about what a great proportion if not the majority of BEV drivers talk about privately, the only difference being I am happy to publicly put my name to my views and comments on the subject.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

noahs-dad wrote:highlight that controversial vehicles flaws... detriment to public charging... bemoaning the Outlander.

There is a time and a place for controversy, detriment and bemoaning. But I would have thought - with EVAS being literally both a members' club and a pressure group where owning a BEV is not mandatory - a certain amount of "nicey nicey" would be welcome. An effective club/pressure group is a broad church.

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:05 am

The real enemy of charging is ICE cars blocking spaces: happened to me at Whitburn yesterday around 5pm, a Zoe was charging and the other space was occupied by this numpty: luckily the nice Zoe driver (an EVAS member) was just about to depart.

I left a ticket:

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:24 am

ScotstounPele wrote:
noahs-dad wrote:highlight that controversial vehicles flaws... detriment to public charging... bemoaning the Outlander.

There is a time and a place for controversy, detriment and bemoaning. But I would have thought - with EVAS being literally both a members' club and a pressure group where owning a BEV is not mandatory - a certain amount of "nicey nicey" would be welcome. An effective club/pressure group is a broad church.

For the record I am not a paying member of EVAS, and have not been for at least a year now. I am just an EVAS forum user...

Scally wrote:The real enemy of charging is ICE cars blocking spaces: happened to me at Whitburn yesterday around 5pm, a Zoe was charging and the other space was occupied by this numpty: luckily the nice Zoe driver (an EVAS member) was just about to depart.

You say "the real enemy", I would say "the other enemy". Common problem that at sports centre/swimming pool chargers. Whitburn is also prone to getting Outlander'd also, happens to be my Outlander driving brother-in-law's local Rapid and gym. He knows my feelings on Outlander's, not surprisingly we don't ever speak about it though, probably for the best!

Return to “New Members”