Help selecting the right EV

Just a place for new members of EVAS to say hello.......
colinp

Help selecting the right EV

Postby colinp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:48 pm

I am looking to purchase an EV but unsure as to which vehicle to purchase. I travel around 90 miles per day (to and from work) and average around 20 miles per year - hence looking to go electric. My concern is range, so been looking at the circa 240 plus vehicles. Not sure what is best but thinking of the Hyundai Kona EV.

Any help or suggestions will be gratefully received.

Colin

Buzby

Re: Help selecting the right EV

Postby Buzby » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Hi Colin - Really, providing you avoid ‘old’ vehicles, your range demands are not particularly onerous - these were sub-100 andin winter would fall to 65-80 miles range. However, there are too many variants in design that will make an ideal EV for one, a real PITA for another. Personally, I dislike hybrids and even BMW’s i3 Range Extender is a false economy - fine if you need a security blanket, but carting an engine around for the odd time you might need a mobile top up. If you get your work to install a Chargepoint (grants available) your uncertainty is removed. Check out the list of vehicles in AutoVolt and make sure you don’t miss any!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

colinp

Postby colinp » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:19 pm

Thanks Raymond.

Neil

Postby Neil » Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:47 pm

Hi Colin,
As Raymond says choice is going to be very subjective. Could you tell us a bit more? Things like passengers, luggage and so on. Budget is a key point too.

I have a 30kWh LEAF, do about 25k a year and on a given day from 80 miles to over 300. Public charging generally makes that fairly simple. I am usually on my own, but carry a couple of hundred kilos of work equipment. The car regularly carries four adults in comfort, occasionally five if three are friendly. Never yet been stuck.
Neil Swanson
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those doing it.

neil.swanson@eva.scot
Views are my own. Mainly.

AlbaT5

Postby AlbaT5 » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:10 pm

Colin

I've just made the jump and bought a 40kW Nissan Leaf. I bought it in Carlisle and drove it back to Livingston with no problem. It was a 95 mile trip and I set off with an 89% charge and got here with 30% left. SO if you need 90 miles I would say the Leaf would fit the bill.

Chunkybuns

Postby Chunkybuns » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:03 am

I've put my deposit down on a Kona. Delivery is Valentines day <3

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:00 pm

Did they say which year? I’m still waiting for my Tesla M3, ;)
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “New Members”