HIYDIHO

Just a place for new members of EVAS to say hello.......
membership

Re: HIYDIHO

Postby membership » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Welcome ZeeZee!

Glad to hear you are loving your EV. What is it you don't love about the infrastructure?
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Welcome to the EV community, enjoy the ride.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:20 pm

Your Council is one of the most enlightened in the country - although the Chargepoint at Wishaw Station seems to be a target for vandals - will you be putting in your own driveway Chargepoint?
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:33 am

Where I live is not the best with a crap Council, but it usually always could be worse, would rather live In East Lothian, than say West Lothian or Moray.

The old Leaf's while now a bit outdated and showing their age are still the most commonly seen BEV, so you are in good company.

AlastairC

Postby AlastairC » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:21 pm

Hi there,

I'm onto my second Leaf, fortunate enough to be a 2018 one through a deal I could not refuse. An electric car was the last thing in the world I wanted to buy but absolutely love it too, best choice I have made in years. Re councils, sorry but there is no consistency at all. Dundee City Council are the most forward thinking that I have found. Lots of charge points, all free to use ie you do not even have to pay to park first as in P&KC, AND, if you register your pure EV with them you can use any of their car parks at anytime free of charge as well as on street charge points that are free to park while charging.Not much use if you don't live close though! but perhaps ask the question of other councils. In Edinburgh you will struggle to find a charge point, Fife is a bit random. You will get used to the network and it is actually a lot better than any of the charge point maps show and starting to grow with "charging hubs" springing up.Also look for local authority premises even colleges, they get subsidies for installing publicly accessible charge points but are not generally advertised. Stick with it and you will discover the network it is sort of an underground network which makes it a bit difficult to plan journeys but you will find that any EV user will be happy to share any inside knowledge they have. I ride bikes as well and there is much the same community in EV drivers. Yeah a bit twee but use the forums and simply talk to other drivers when you charge up. I know where the charge points are from Kinross to Lybster simply because I spoke to another driver recharging on the way north. Might come in useful.

Enjoy the car

Alastair

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:05 pm

Where are the charging hubs that are springing up? Is just one small geographical area of Scotland is it not?

Scally

Postby Scally » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:27 am

Scotland has more rapids per EV than any other part of the UK, but this is only a start.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:27 pm

yes, 24 rapids per "EV" I believe it is. But useless info and stats (as usual) in many senses. We know there are far more PHEV's than BEV's in the UK. And PHEV's only under utilise the rapids and tie up scant resources. But do we really want to compare ourselves to the like of Wales or even England? Lets push the boat out about and measure how we are doing against Scandinavian neighbours and others?

It is also about where the rapids are placed. And we don't have many main road route rapids. Is mostly P&R and other random Council owned land type of locations.

Our rapid charging should really stay free for a while. It is not worthy of fee charging (yet).

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 pm

winge winge winge... got me at it as well....

as long as charging is free PHEV will use rapids, slap a reasonable cost and one of your bugbears is instantly fixed

also rapids aka journey chargers when free attract local grazers and taxis and people that could likely charge fine at home
again solved instantly with a sensible costing mechanism, hey also grid friendly as well, but who cares on that huh (when free)

until sensible charging costs appear all the usage statistics are useless and provide little real value in any planning or infrastructure investment as well

EVs today are a tiny proportion of overall motoring fleet and poorly understood at this early stage by the masses, not sure what folk gain apart from a jolly toddling off to Norway to watch a country that owns and invests in its on infrastructure (I refer to all things beyond EV dom) in many ways beyond battery cars, our little green bays and one or two chargers need to move to workplace and serious locations rather than the mishmash hiding places scattered all over the place.

I get the impression we/Scotland started fine but the world its a decade away before joining in..... and the free energy culture isnt helping much disregarding the obvious fact energy costs have balloned in the last decade. Our credibility crumbles on the free part.

one rant leads to another ... but

thumbs up to Dalkeith getting 4 ev bays, but listed with wrong postcode, wild goose chase, tucked away in bowling club car park, very grateful charge (destination type) but reflects the flintstones prehistoric crazy stage we are at right now, and the Treasure Hunt skills required to learn the ropes.......

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:47 pm

I don’t know if anyone else saw the ‘launch’ photo of one of the first Hackney EV’s to enter service in Glasgow. OK, I’m aware it may have been positioned by the photographer, but it straddled across 3 parking bays and had a grinning taxi driver plugging in his hybrid at the Riverside Museum. Yes, it’s only 1.... but we need to prepare ourselves where you cannot easily use a Rapid as there’s a queue of taxi’s waiting for fares as they top up. (Like Dundee!)

This will have to be managed carefully to prevent the more arrogant driver, sending the next in line packing!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “New Members”