Tesla 2 Powerwall Home Battery

A place to discuss Renewable Energy and EV charging from Renewables.
ABrown

Re: Tesla 2 Powerwall Home Battery

Postby ABrown » Thu May 03, 2018 4:16 pm

noahs-dad wrote:ABrown - how are you getting on with your PW? Are you out during the day and feeling you are getting a good average daily saving? Is your battery typically filled up by dinner time at this time of year? Do you find it easy to operate and use, or are you on timer settings?

The PW is totally integrated into the solar array and does not require any input from me. At the moment the house runs until approx 9-10pm on battery if it has been a sunny day.

mgill

Postby mgill » Mon May 14, 2018 7:03 pm

PS. The Powerwall has now been updated to allow off-peak recharging... (I'll be getting one too now!)

https://twitter.com/ElectrekCo/status/9 ... 2592488451

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue May 15, 2018 8:52 am

With a Tesla to charge, you might need a fair few batteries in your PW2 array!

A single 14kW with 11kW useable is not going to cut it for me (though would be a welcome start) as I have plenty excess PV + plenty use for it from a battery. 15kW is about a full charge on the Leaf if starting at 25%. I also have another BEV to charge needing about the same volume of charge, as well as electric heating and all the other usual stuff.

Might be that 14kW is all I can budget for now, and will have to add more later. The ability to add later is a great feature also. I intend to find out more about that, particularly what the cost difference is between getting your desired size in one go at point of install, or adding to it later. I think a 3 x 14kW size for the PW2 would be ideal for me for the next couple of years.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Thu May 17, 2018 11:24 am

mgill wrote:PS. The Powerwall has now been updated to allow off-peak recharging... (I'll be getting one too now!)

https://twitter.com/ElectrekCo/status/9 ... 2592488451

I still cannot get the figures to work - I want payback within 8 years max, (my Solar PV was only 4) but even with the very late arrival of off—peak top up, I’m sitting at 12 years at best.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri May 18, 2018 12:45 am

The payback will be quicker but how much, no idea. Will depend on the detail (£'s of income) when the grid contribution scheme gets confirmed (this year I think?). Although I am personally setting my bar low on that one so I won't get too disappointed and am not going to factor it in to my decision making.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri May 25, 2018 3:17 pm

Had a good visit from Duncan @ Ceilba Renewables this morning, gained a lot of good info and got many questions answered. Key points noted.

- Is 13.5kWh of useable battery (not sure what actual size it is).
- It draws about 3.5kWH of battery.
- Option to draw 5kWh or a bit more if your 250V (depends if a 230V house, or more if a 250V house).
- To draw 5kWh or more it needs a G59 application which Duncan does.
- The G59 process tends to be slow in Scotland and takes up to 45 days
- There is currently a 6-8 week wait time for the PW2. A bit like the cars, they can't manufacture them quick enough to meet demand.
- The wall box cabinet comes out 15cm from wall.
- Saw the free smart phone app, and is very quick and efficient with good live data of PV generation and battery status.
- Battery does not get as hot as would think.

The whole cabinet is for 1 x 13.5kWh battery only. To add more array’s at a later date it means another same sized box. So they either (a) attach onto the existing wall mounted battery, so 15cm from wall becomes 30 cm from wall for a 2nd array, 45 cm from wall for 3 arrays and so on... or (b) the battery cabinet can be situated separately, above or at the side, ideally close by but in theory could be further away.

If I located the battery in the cupboard with my consumer unit, then the cost is £6200 inc. The G59, but with VAT to be added on.

Will cost a bit more to place in garage and do a cable run, which is what I think might be best for me from a long term point of view, for accommodating future array add ons.

The VAT is 20% unless installed with PV at same time then is 5%. Can not have 5% retrospectively applied to an existing PV system. Crazy! Anyway, when I asked about a small PV system installed at same time as would effectively be free, as mostly covered by the 15%.... Duncan was quite flexible and suggested I just get my own renewables installer to do it, as he would technically be outsourcing it to them, which is what he would do anyway with PV installs.

I think it represents good value. The battery on our Leaf is 20kWh approx. useable and it used to have an estimated industry value of £5000. They have probably come down in price these days, but for a 13.5kWh battery and all the other tech the PW2 does, I think it is a good investment.

Return to “Renewable Energy and EVs”