Facebook

Discussion of activities carried out by EVAS
Scally

Re: Facebook

Postby Scally » Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:02 am

My impression is that Scottish EV Drivers Club appears to be owned by a rather shallow clique of like-minded chums, who appear to be immune to any form of criticism or accountability to their members. Their idea of a good time is meeting up in car parks.

Gogsie

Postby Gogsie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Forums/groups are often unfortunately dominated by one or two people who have strong and often judgmental opinions that aren't the views shared by everyone else on the forum/group. Certainly Scottish EV Drivers Club is more for fun and welcoming new EV drivers, than perhaps the agenda of EVAS. When I bought my Leaf two years ago, I welcomed the chit chat and meeting other like minded members in a car park, including an excellent test drive of the MS. Best of luck with your FB presence.
Leaf owner, since October 2015

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:03 pm

We have different agendas - EVAS has always tried to educate and inform, and whilst we have been around since 2011 we remain the longest established group for EV Drivers, and enjoy relationships with Councils and Transport Scotland. SEVDC meets a different need, and as they exist primarily as a Facebook entity it is the nature of the beast that users can choose which they prefer. I see nothing wrong with meeting up in car parks, at the end of the day we are both trying to ensure Scottish motorists get to appreciate that Electric Vehicles are mainstream products these days and to be embraced.

We existed before social media kicked off, so have a more traditional structure but we do make a charge to be a member of EVAS so for someone wanting to test the water, a free FB group is better than none. I've never seen an 'accountable' FB group, but when our site does appear, we hope to be a one-stop shop to serve or members however they choose to interact with us!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVAS Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:29 pm

I can't see the point in a second club, but each to their own. I have no interest in the EVAS club really, but if I had to choose one of the two, then it would be EVAS. Choice is usually never a bad thing, you can be a part of A, B, or C or all 3 right? What I really want to join however is Option C, which would not be a club and does not exist yet.

I look forward to the day when we have a Scottish BEV Organisation/Association or whatever, the name is not that important. That is what is truly needed, something for BEV drivers that has more focus, which neither club does. Something that is not so nicey-nice and a bit more hard hitting with tangible actions. Let's go and block some petrol pumps. Let's campaign in public with signposts etc, where needed. If there is a shitty Council not up to it and doing their bit, then lets go their head office and make a noise with a peaceful protest. Instead of BEV drivers meeting at chargers and bemoaning particular PHEV's. Lets just have a hard-line stance, and put our names to what we really think, no more PC'ness for the sake of PC'ness. And again, something that is not a club. Most BEV drivers already have clubs and hobbies and their electric driving is not off that mind-set. They don't want to meet up in car parks or visit bus factories. Of course no problem if that's your thing, enjoy and all, no issue what so over, but it is not going to interest most.

A Scottish BEV Organisation would ideally not mess about in needless areas either like promoting and improving uptake of BEV's. No offence to EVAS on that one (with it's policy of promoting EV's), I just take a different view is all and think that is the governments job. They have people in all kinds of roles who do that, and marketing people. A BEV organisation should support new and existing BEV drivers, and do that well and not get distracted with wider ranging things.

AlisterH

Postby AlisterH » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:14 pm

Hi noahs-dad,

We're working hard behind the scenes to re-constitute EVAS as voted for at our AGM in April. We will make an announcement about this very soon. The purpose of this is to try and put EVAS on a more professional footing to be able to carry out the aims of the organisation, engage with members more and grow membership. As we grow membership and income streams we will be able to do more. For example, the Norwegian EV association has 14 employees - just think of the impact EVAS could make with even 1 or 2 staff! In order to be able to grow, we need more members obviously so please, if you have not done so already,

Join the Electric Vehicle Association Scotland!

preferably as a fully paid up member.

Once re-constituted we hope to be able to tap other sources of funding to help leverage growth of the organisation and achieve our aims. More on this to follow in due course.

As ever, suggestions as to how members would like to shape what EVAS do are most welcome.

Best wishes,

Alister.
Chair EVAS

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:49 am

Broadly speaking, you get what you pay for, and to make EVAS set the heather on fire, we will need at least 5,000 paid up members and a fee of at least £30.
Which is rather less than filling one tank with petrol.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:41 pm

Scally is suggesting that EVAS requires 5,000 x £30 = £150,000 per year to give it a good chance of achieving its aims. Given the sheer unlikelihood of getting this just now, should EVAS bid for some sort of start-up funding to generate a 5 figure or small 6 figure sum towards scaling it up? Has this already happened?

If we can show what the Norwegian equivalent is achieving with its paid staff and bigger budget then perhaps we can make the case for EVAS as a deserving recipient of start-up funds?

AlisterH

Postby AlisterH » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 pm

A funding application is being written at the moment.

We are in contact with the Norwegian equivalent of EVAS to see what we can learn from them. We also plan to network more widely.

We still need to increase our membership and funding coupled with the good will of our current membership will help us do this.

So, if you haven't done so already, please

Join the Electric Vehicle Association Scotland!

preferably as a fully paid up member.

Once we have funding in place, we will be in touch with members directly to explain more.

Alister.
Chair EVAS.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:12 am

£150k pa? Depends what services you want provided, but we need to walk before we can run. We aim to educate as a first priority - and that can be achieved for considerably less!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVAS Communications

Return to “Electric Vehicle Association Scotland”