CPS to consult on payment structures

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
noahs-dad

Re: CPS to consult on payment structures

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:21 pm

And some Council's have been able to obtain new chargers, while existing faulty or offline chargers have remained left abandoned.

The CPS survey is focused on fee setting. I don't think it is going to really impact much else or how things are done by Council's.

Why doesn't EVAS just request a meeting with CPS and invite every Council to send a rep/attend. If you can get 1/3rd of the Council's that would be a significant bit of progress in its own right. And pick the 5 most prevailing issues to focus in on with the Council's. I know for a fact CPS will gladly do all the donkey work and send invitation's out to their Council contacts.

1. Destination charger (Supermarkets, Cinemas, Swimming Pools, Shopping Centre/Retail Parks, Tourist Attractions etc.

Good time to strike, while CPS are so engaging. Not in particular because of the fee survey, just since the 1st Jan, they seem to have been more pro-active.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:07 pm

I also wonder whether EVAS should agree at AGM a formal response as an organisation to the proposals? Perhaps we could work on a draft here for vote at AGM?

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:06 pm

OK, so with 30 kWh in my battery, in the central belt I often have a choice of charger - and I choose to use local facilities like supermarkets, restaurants and shops when I charge - so the Council with the highest charges will lose the business, its that simple. As it is I'm often avoiding bleak locations with no other facilities nearby, like Falkirk Stadium.

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:08 pm

ScotstounPele wrote:I also wonder whether EVAS should agree at AGM a formal response as an organisation to the proposals? Perhaps we could work on a draft here for vote at AGM?

Its very hard to draft a collective response that will suit everyone here - except perhaps to follow my lead and suggest that the market is still too fragile to impose any charges at all until the volume reaches at least five or ten times current drawings, and perhaps that there should be penalties for people hogging chargers.

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Scally wrote:OK, so with 30 kWh in my battery, in the central belt I often have a choice of charger - and I choose to use local facilities like supermarkets, restaurants and shops when I charge - so the Council with the highest charges will lose the business, its that simple. As it is I'm often avoiding bleak locations with no other facilities nearby, like Falkirk Stadium.

Bleak, have you not used their cafe? Very nice fry up!

I actually used Falkirk on my trip to Ayr and it meant just 1 stop, but heading down towards Edinburgh and across would have meant 2 stops.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Scally wrote:Its very hard to draft a collective response that will suit everyone here - except perhaps to follow my lead and suggest that the market is still too fragile to impose any charges at all until the volume reaches at least five or ten times current drawings, and perhaps that there should be penalties for people hogging chargers.

I agree that a long response we all fully agree with would be impossible to achieve at AGM as there is clearly difference between individual EVAS members' views. But I would hope that a short statement could pass, even just "EVAS resolves to take the position that the market is still too fragile for chargepoint hosts to adopt paid-for charging, but there should be financial penalties where cars misuse chargers."

Scally

Postby Scally » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:16 am

I'd certainly think that would be a unifying statement with which no members would disagree - and it is quite important to have a single clear voice on this one.
The online survey was really asking a lot of leading questions, rather than open questions: it appeared to regard charging as a given. It isn't. £200,000 worth of electricity, spread across so many different large organisations, is a drop in the bucket - the cost of setting up and administering a scheme would be more than the receipts and would be a significant disincentive to further take-up of EVs.

Matt Beard

Postby Matt Beard » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:43 am

So perhaps a simple statement could be built such as:

"The members of the Association agree that it is too early to be applying a fee for EV charging; however when a fee is introduced it needs to be clear, simple, and chosen with a main aim to continue to promote uptake of electric vehicles rather than as a profit centre or to recover consts."

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Just thinking aloud:

I am attracted to the idea of gradually rising costs, with a view to penalising overstaying.

Something like:
First x minutes free
Next x minutes affordable tariff
After y hours, especially at peak times, punitive tariff if you remain plugged in and hogging (this would be particularly effective on slow chargers in city centres and on AC and CCS handsets as these can't be disconnected by a third party at the end of the charge cycle).

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:00 am

I canvas a transition stage #1 (prior to commercial free for all)

all chargers to apply cost plus nil for defined period ?2y
so destination charger
> 15p/kwh (domestic costs have risen !)
then rapids/journey chargers (to educate public in the real cost)
> 20-25p/kwh

as for large capacity EVs on rapids/journey chargers, sorry 45min limit other less endowed Ev'rs (early adopters) need a charge to, over time technology and rapider-rapids will appear but for now the wee'er batteries need a sniff/charge, just cos' ye have loadsaacash bg battery doesnt give you chademo+ benefits

I disagree will free/zero cost charging,it discourages many opportunities in scotland from further investment (egsupermarkets), short term local grazing, blocks journey chargers, gives totally invalid usage usage statistics & could divert revenue to more deserving causes like charge place maint OR a better centralised maint effort..maint needs cash/better response

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”