Restricted opening times Stirling Castleview P&R

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Scally

Re: Restricted opening times Stirling Castleview P&R

Postby Scally » Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:40 pm

eoosterhoorn wrote:Same here, just had a phone call from the council. No closure except on some occasions. He mentioned when there was a travellers community on the move they closed the site for a few days. Good to see that it is not changed, and the reply was informative and he had read my request.

Gosh, travellers. People who use the road.
What are they, lepers? The spawn of aliens?
I am disgusted by this statement.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:56 pm

Scally wrote:
eoosterhoorn wrote:Same here, just had a phone call from the council. No closure except on some occasions. He mentioned when there was a travellers community on the move they closed the site for a few days. Good to see that it is not changed, and the reply was informative and he had read my request.

Gosh, travellers. People who use the road.
What are they, lepers? The spawn of aliens?
I am disgusted by this statement.

I am not a favourite of his response either, but I was not going to argue about it as I was at work when phoned.

Glad the site is available for charging, not that it was closed for the reason he stated.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue May 01, 2018 9:09 am

It seems he cannot win - you get full disclosure, but dislike his honesty? Councils (especially Aberdeen) are certainly aufait with this as a really problem that costs them - and by extension, the taxpayers, a lot of money in legal fees and cleanup costs as a site is restored to its previous function. Car parks and open ground are prime targets for such usage, so if all it takes to prevent this additional cost is a gate, there will be very few who will object to preventative measures until the problem goes away. None of this negates a council’s legal responsibility to provide regulated traveller’s sites - however this is not the case here.

Wholesale misuse of public (and private) land has resulted in many areas being blocked by boulders or height barriers to prevent misuse. Why should others who do not contribute to the local economy expect others to clean up after them? If you have enough land and are pre disposed to assist placement, go for it. But to lamblast a Council for protecting its tax payers from needless additional expense belies belief.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed May 02, 2018 1:21 am

Travelling folk can be a nuisance,especially when they fail to abide by social norms like careful disposal of waste; agreed. But I admire the determination and survival skills of those folk - whether new age hippies, tinkers, gypsies. or whatever they choose to call themselves, who disregard convention by adopting a nomadic lifestyle. whether on land or sea: and to my mind, we need to engage in a better dialogue: travellers have a very different and valuable perspective to offer, and they are often experts at recycling and sustainable living: so we need to listen to them, and agree a modus vivendi . https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modus_vivendi
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Wed May 02, 2018 2:50 pm

Like they listen to us? It’s a two-way street, but one that will not be easily resolved. There are many sub-groups, genuine Romany’s, itinerant traders/contractors, travellers etc - each with their own social mores. Some move on and you’d never know they were there - others, you see the mobile deprivation and it’s like the opening scene from Stallone’s Rambo. I’ve seen on Chargepoint forming a Community Hub for a variety of caravans/vans and it looked as if it was providing the power. This (I gather) is the reason unlike France, there is no 13a backup socket provided at our sites - and this is probably the reason.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Scally

Postby Scally » Fri May 11, 2018 11:54 am

The biggest group of travellers are affluent people using motorhomes in Scotland in summer, and they are well disliked by locals, because they block up single track roads, drive and park inconsiderately, and don't spend money in B&B's and cafes: just fill up at Lidl or Tescos before they go.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri May 11, 2018 4:44 pm

The point is - they move on and rarely cause any social disturbance or require police action. Indeed, with RV’s costing in excess of £70k new. As for being the biggest group of ‘travellers’, do you mean in numerical terms? According to Loch Lomond National Park, their biggest issue was wild tenting on the shores. The RV’s were safely in their associated sites and paying £20+ per night. There was no need to prevent them having access - which is what started this thread!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon May 14, 2018 1:28 am

Buzby wrote:The point is - they move on and rarely cause any social disturbance or require police action. Indeed, with RV’s costing in excess of £70k new. As for being the biggest group of ‘travellers’, do you mean in numerical terms? According to Loch Lomond National Park, their biggest issue was wild tenting on the shores. The RV’s were safely in their associated sites and paying £20+ per night. There was no need to prevent them having access - which is what started this thread!

How much of that 'social disturbance and police action' is artificially created by over-entitled pompous citizens who are actually masking their racism with stupid and trivial complaints?

Look I travelled behind a VW golf belting out black smoke today, did I complain? No! Should I have : well probably ...
doi you see my point?

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Thu May 17, 2018 11:27 am

Sorry, we’ve wandered off into fantasy now. Your VW won’t make it past its next MoT after 20th May... things are getting better, so no complaint required, it’s all in hand.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”