Pointless Chargers at ARI in Aberdeen!

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Buzby

Re: Pointless Chargers at ARI in Aberdeen!

Postby Buzby » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:23 pm

So part ftom misrepresenting their coverage (until you zoom in only to find it is a fantasy) they have no other valid sites in Scotland, they should be told where to go (and the horse they rode in on). It seems more puff than substance!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:58 pm

Well I finally used the chargers at ARI in Aberdeen. When I arrived 3 of the bays were iced, despite them being clearly painted green, one by an Outlander just parked. Interestingly, there is a huge row of disabled spaces -which no one parked in ! It must be less of a crime to park in a charger space !! and it would of been possible to park in some these disabled spaces and still reach the chargers.

These are very unusual posts.

The first post I tried did not work. Green error light showed on charger which means " your battery is full" Second post I tried - same again. Error light on post which means - your battery is already full.

Not being one to give up easily, moved my car to another post, and it worked perfectly.

When I returned over an hour and a bit later, I wondered how much charge I had got. But there is no displays on these chargers. These chargers are very unusual in that they have an LED light that changes colour with a legend beside explaining what each colour means.

When I got home I logged on to their web page , and found out I had got 5 kWh for the cost of 1.50 Euros. So will now still have to wait to see the cost in UK £

Not ideal by any means. But it was possible to charge a car in the car park. Seems a crazy idea to give the contract for these types of posts that don't tell you , at the time, how much charge you get, and that they will be billing you in euros !!!

On the other hand, the new multi-storey carpark is such an improvement for visitors going to the hospital - if only they had installed the same type of chargers as the rest in the hospital complex.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:59 am

How did you activate them?

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:15 am

Jon Oates wrote:How did you activate them?

I had an rfid card from ECOTAP a while ago, but had never used it till yesterday. I just tried it out as an experiment. I doubt if I will ever use these chargers again.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:51 pm

I believe they are currently illegal - an accurate cost-to-charge must be provided at the point of sale. Offering the cost after the event in Euros is just taking the Michael....
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:38 pm

Have now been emailed my invoice from Ecotap. In total 1.50 Euro - which I was expecting. What I don't know is how much this will actually cost me in UK £ and if there will be transactions fee as well.

The waiting continues !

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:31 am

I have now been sent an email this morning, with the invoice attached for using these chargers on 26 June 2018 for 1.50 Euros.

the email says,

" we were unable to collect the money for this invoice "...……… " if payment is not received within one month the account will be temporarily blocked until all invoices are received on this account "

really a hassle when you do not hold an Euro bank account, and I have no intention of using any of these chargers ever again !!

Interesting to hear if anyone else had had the same experience at the new car park at Forresterhill in Aberdeen

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:25 pm

Thanks for the update on this. The NHS Trust need to sort this, not try and blame it on their sub contractor. There’s an EVA Director’s Meeting next week, I’ll get it added to the Agenda, as this situation is untenable!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:05 pm

Well, I went to pay this just now. I set up the recipients name and Iban number etc. - this is using Bank of Scotland.

The fees for making this payment are £ 9.50

So total cost to me for using this charger for 5 kWh worth of electric = £ 10.88 GBP

Is this the most expensive charger in Scotland ?

So, bill still remains unpaid at the moment. anyone know of a way round paying this fee ? Totally outrageous to bill someone in Euros I would say.

geo-jamie

Postby geo-jamie » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:56 am

Conclusion :
I was able to pay this in Euros using a paypal account. So cost was £ 1.36

That is much better. But a bit of a hassle really.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”