Build it and they will come

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Scally

Re: Build it and they will come

Postby Scally » Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:15 am

As a fairly affluent chap, who nevertheless drives mostly on public service work, I fail to see why taxis - that also work in the public service - should receive less favourable treatment than private EVs.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:26 pm

Because commercial firms should pay their own way and not expect Chargepoint operators to subsidise them? The private EV users helped fund the investment through taxation, so only right that they are the primary beneficiaries.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Sorry if this seems a crude binary proposition, but faced with a choice of the Dundee model (big charging hubs, copious EV taxis keeping usage levels up) and the model adopted in almost every other city (few EV taxis and virtually no sites that could be defined as rapid charging hubs), I'm with the Dundee model and comfortable about the level of EV subsidy routed through the taxi sector.

Any subsidy model is controversial (why subsidise cars at all?) and the key test is whether low carbon miles are generated by the subsidy. It would seem this is the case.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:49 pm

I was in Dundee on Friday there and was amazed.... for some reason I foolishly thought most/all taxis in Dundee were Leaf’s - yet in my 5 hours there, I didn’t see a single one! I saw plenty of cars and people carriers plying for hire and sitting in ranks (many with their engines running - perhaps to keep the aircon active. Anyone know what the % split of cabs ICE vs EV? Since EV’s are in the minority, would the sanguine response change if all taxis were EV’s, and the public had no chance of getting a space at a hub when they needed it?
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:23 pm

I haven't been in Dundee for ages, but I have only ever seen the odd Leaf taxi on my travels. I have however seen quite a few private hire Leaf's. Private hire, and I suppose uber which I am less familiar with is a big thing these days.

Not sure if Council's tend to class private hire as Taxi's ? I suspect they do?

Am inclined to agree with ScotstounPele on this anyway, living in a generallycrappy area for driving, where my own local council and 2-3 neighbouring councils are a bit crap and behind with charging provision, I'd be quite content and happy with seeing a few taxis here and there at chargers, if we had Dundee level charging facilities.

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Scally wrote:The average taxi probably does 40,000 miles a year whilst most of us do 8,000 miles a year.
Public subsidy should be directed at taxis, not private cars.

Just started reading the thread after my holidays, we do 20000 miles a year (or more) but I do get you. Most private drivers are in the 8-10.000 miles I guess.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”