Sweeping Statement Alert

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Scally

Re: Sweeping Statement Alert

Postby Scally » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:05 am

50 minutes is out of order if someone is waiting. I'd have been fizzing too.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:28 am

When CPS does finally become a paid-for network (an event I am in no hurry for), I hope it includes a time-based charging element, along with clear signage that teaches the uninitiated:
* cost (including time based element)
* explanation that most EV rapid charging speeds taper off gradually past about 50% and most EV drivers find there is little point in rapid charging beyond 80% of battery capacity
* invitation for folk who really want to reach 100% to use the rapid til they reach about 80% only then go and use the adjacent 7-22kw post as this will be cheaper and courteous to other drivers.

Even while the network remains free to use, the latter two bullet points would be welcome signage at sites where 7-22kw posts are available alongside rapids.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:05 am

Is hard to see the time based thing working. If you get charged at a higher rate after say 1hr of charging on a Rapid, is that really going to bother say many Tesla drivers? It may also just mean some drivers work the system by ending the charge then restarting it after around 1hr.

These adjacent 7-22kW posts you speak of don't exist at the majority of Rapid's either from what I can see, but I don't hang out in the likes of Dundee.

Any Rapid near facilities like restaurants, shops etc is always at higher risk of being tied up for hours and hours.

Why can't most of Scotland's rapid's have a 45 or 60 min cut off for all AC/DC/CCS connections? And why can't this happen now? CPS can take this forward to each Council and implement with ease. They just need a good prod and a nudge to do so.

PS not in a hurry to see fee charging myself either. I used to always think all these P&R location Rapid's were a bit of an odd location choice, but given the way things have evolved in the last year or two, I now prefer these and they make more sense to me. They are the least likeliest to be hogged/tied up/blocked, and they are the ones that tend to have adjacent T2 charging.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”