Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
membership

Public Charging Problems Log

Postby membership » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm

A forum topic for capturing ongoing and repeating issues on the network.
If you can include the post number that helps.
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

noahs-dad

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:29 am

Dunbar Rapid on the A1 has gone offline with its usual half yearly recurring issue. It has never been proofed and it usually needs a replacement part to get it back operational again.

http://chargeplacescotland.org/ seems to be missing a lot of Rapid's from the map. Maybe just a temporary glitch?

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:27 pm

noahs-dad wrote:Dunbar Rapid on the A1 has gone offline with its usual half yearly recurring issue. It has never been proofed and it usually needs a replacement part to get it back operational again.

http://chargeplacescotland.org/ seems to be missing a lot of Rapid's from the map. Maybe just a temporary glitch?

Broken by a leaf?
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:05 pm

I was not there when it went down, so do not know the exact circumstances. Although it was clear from past issues with charger and the screen error it is a power supply issue.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:36 pm

Update: I successfully charged on DC this evening at Dunbar Rapid. CSS is displaying as available also, however AC is not available, has an error/disabled icon and says "AC not available insufficient power" when you tap it with your finger (is an ABB unit).

And after reporting to CYC after I first spotted it was offline, I have just read an email that was sent this afternoon saying the Rapid appears to be fine as a successful charge has now been reported. I did reset the Rapid to before reporting, so not sure why it is working now, what CYC have done at their end, or what is going on.

In summary this Rapid is currently fine and working if your not an AC charger.

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Does anyone know if there is a problem with the rapids in Stirling? Chargeplace Scotland page says out of service, plugshare has it used on the 24th after problems. This is both P&R and in the centre.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:26 pm

P&R Stirling is back.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

Malcolm Henry

Postby Malcolm Henry » Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:01 am

Portree rapid charger has been offline since September (at least). I tried charging there out of interest rather than necessity the first week that I had my car and reported it as not working. I reported it again in November.

The only other rapid chargers on Skye are at Broadford and Uig, both of which have been in situ for months without being connected to the grid.

I think I'm the only resident of the island with a BEV (any others out there?) and the lack of rapid charging points makes it hard to argue the case for running an EV. Any ideas on which organisation is at fault here? ScotGov? CYC?

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Don't know the specific details of that charger, but is usually less CYC and Scot Gov (or TS some would say), and more to do with the actual CPO which is in most cases the local Council.

There can be argument that all have a share or some amount in the blame. For instance, the current setup and its problems are all under the Scot Gov's eye and chosen system, but also tied partly into a UK government structure (just to further complicate it). CYC if they do all their bits and pieces properly could be seen as blameless. Anyhow it all sucks for sure, that much is clear!

The quality of charger provision and maintenance where you live generally comes down to how interested and how good your local Council is. Almost a postcode lottery in some ways? Austerity and related Council budgeting challenges are widely still prevalent and limiting, and while that should not be used as an excuse and cop out, it does impact us.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Malcolm Henry wrote:I think I'm the only resident of the island with a BEV (any others out there?) and the lack of rapid charging points makes it hard to argue the case for running an EV. Any ideas on which organisation is at fault here? ScotGov? CYC?

Neither. The first help fund it, and the second has nothing whatsoever to do with it! The chances are it was the local council who installed it, so if you want to be proactive - call the Council's Roads department and ask - if it isn’t them, they’ll know who is. Then ask if they were aware it has been out of service, and what is the planned timeframe to have it restored.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”