Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
noahs-dad

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:46 pm

Don't know the specific details of that charger, but is usually less CYC and Scot Gov (or TS some would say), and more to do with the actual CPO which is in most cases the local Council.

There can be argument that all have a share or some amount in the blame. For instance, the current setup and its problems are all under the Scot Gov's eye and chosen system, but also tied partly into a UK government structure (just to further complicate it). CYC if they do all their bits and pieces properly could be seen as blameless. Anyhow it all sucks for sure, that much is clear!

The quality of charger provision and maintenance where you live generally comes down to how interested and how good your local Council is. Almost a postcode lottery in some ways? Austerity and related Council budgeting challenges are widely still prevalent and limiting, and while that should not be used as an excuse and cop out, it does impact us.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:59 pm

Malcolm Henry wrote:I think I'm the only resident of the island with a BEV (any others out there?) and the lack of rapid charging points makes it hard to argue the case for running an EV. Any ideas on which organisation is at fault here? ScotGov? CYC?

Neither. The first help fund it, and the second has nothing whatsoever to do with it! The chances are it was the local council who installed it, so if you want to be proactive - call the Council's Roads department and ask - if it isn’t them, they’ll know who is. Then ask if they were aware it has been out of service, and what is the planned timeframe to have it restored.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

mgill

Postby mgill » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:35 pm

Malcolm Henry wrote:Portree rapid charger has been offline since September (at least). I tried charging there out of interest rather than necessity the first week that I had my car and reported it as not working. I reported it again in November.

The only other rapid chargers on Skye are at Broadford and Uig, both of which have been in situ for months without being connected to the grid.

I think I'm the only resident of the island with a BEV (any others out there?) and the lack of rapid charging points makes it hard to argue the case for running an EV. Any ideas on which organisation is at fault here? ScotGov? CYC?

The chargers in Broadford and Uig have been in the ground for years now.

I spoke with Kate Forbes' (MSP) Parliamentary Assistant in July and the problems are -
1. Broadford
Electrical connections across the main trunk road were rejected by both Transport Scotland and BEAR Scotland. Next option was to cable to the Co-op but there have been issues re: land ownership (Brodies LLP were asked to sign a wayleave but haven't).
It could be cabled to a new housing development but there has been no further progress. It's in the hands of Highland Council.
2. Uig
There needs to be a new ground-based transformer. The Council have been asking Calmac to sell some harbour land to them (which would then be leased back to SSE). No further progress has been made.

Kate Forbes petitioned the Skye councillors to get these issues discussed at a ward meeting. I checked an agenda a few weeks ago but could see no mention of either site.

Alister Hamilton, EVAS ?Chair, had a meeting with Kate Forbes to further discuss but I'm not aware of the outcome. Maybe EVAS could provide further info on the outcomes, if any?

PS. The ex-MSP for Skye also drives a Leaf!

Malcolm Henry

Postby Malcolm Henry » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:49 am

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a woeful lack of planning/co-ordination at both Uig and Broadford. The lack of a fix for the broken charger in Portree adds to the impression that the rhetoric in support of EVs isn't being backed up by action.

Are you on Skye, mgill, and do you have an EV?

Malcolm Henry

Postby Malcolm Henry » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:51 am

Thanks for the clarification, Buzby. I will pursue Highland Council.

mgill

Postby mgill » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:26 am

No, but I’d like to visit!

Robin Pope was the official dealing with EV chargers for Highland Council.

Peter Coghill is Kate Forbes’ assistant (very helpful).

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:54 am

Malcolm, keep the numbers handy - EVAS has noticed that extended long-term outages invariably are caused by extraordinary issues - especially when after the expiry of the warranty period, the council (as owner) is expected to pay for the restoration of service, possibly the first time they’ve been called to pay out anything for the installation. This invariably means a reluctance to pay for a speedy resolution (assuming one is possible). Only complaints directly to the Council, or the local councillor who is responsible for the area seem to help keep the matter on the boil - and we salute those members who take the time to do so!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

membership

Postby membership » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:09 pm

Malcolm Henry wrote:Portree rapid charger has been offline since September (at least). I tried charging there out of interest rather than necessity the first week that I had my car and reported it as not working. I reported it again in November.

The only other rapid chargers on Skye are at Broadford and Uig, both of which have been in situ for months without being connected to the grid.

I think I'm the only resident of the island with a BEV (any others out there?) and the lack of rapid charging points makes it hard to argue the case for running an EV. Any ideas on which organisation is at fault here? ScotGov? CYC?

Fault is probably the wrong term to use, responsible is better. As we understand the situations at Broadford and Uig, there are issues with getting power to the units. The units will belong to the council, but are effectively unable to have power cables run to them as a third party's consent is required. Portree is showing as online on CPS, with a successful charge reported mid-November. It is something we have pursued with TS and the local MSP, but no progress to report at the moment.

Have you written to your councillor? Approaches from many vectors have generally proven most successful.
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

Malcolm Henry

Postby Malcolm Henry » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:31 am

The Portree charger was alive when I looked last week which is good news. Somebody is paying attention, at last. I will try it out this week, if I get the chance.

Neil-K

Postby Neil-K » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:10 pm

I am not sure whether this is best on this forum, but I wanted to share a reply from the Transport Minister to a long running discussion on the problem caused by the present comms shortcomings. The point we have been making is that it is ludicrous to deny a driver a charge at a site with a working unit simply because there are no comms.

We accept that comms are helpful to make the mapping system less unreliable than at present, but to withhold charge for want of comms is wrong. The letter seems to be making a grudging acceptance of the point, but I would like to see if we can capture the occurrences when comms prevents a charge.

I'd also be interested if anybody thinks we are missing something.

It would also be interesting to know if anybody has any experience of the communications trials; specifically if they have worked. We have one flakey Siemens charger where there is a good mobile signal, but poor card recognition. We are not sure if the proposed plans will make this any better.

20171218 Humza Letter.JPG

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”