Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
GordonF

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby GordonF » Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:01 pm

Just to add to the earlier discussion. I was in Skye with our Leaf in October and used the Portree charger every day. Very disappointed to see the other two not even powered up and find it quite amazing that the council can put the things in place when they do not have the power available to make them work? I'd imagine this lackof infrastructure on the island probably puts off a lot of folk from trying to visit.

Also i'd love to have the Moffat charger working as it's my main route back south from Edinburgh. Is there anyone who i/we should write to specifically to try to get that progressed?

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:02 pm

Gordon,

The joys of funding mechanisms unfortunately. Spend or lose...... The issue on Skye appears to rest with third party owned land, a regular topic of conversation, with no immediate end in sight.

For Moffat, Dumfries & Galloway Council are responsible. I suspect that the local electricity network is inadequate for connection, so a larger spend is required, so may well wait until the next financial year!
Neil Swanson
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those doing it.

neil.swanson@eva.scot
Views are my own. Mainly.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 am

Wasn’t Moffat reported as back in service a week or two ago? I don’t think it was a grid capacity issue here - the original location was OK, but prone to flooding, hence the re-siting of the Rapid.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:06 am

What was the thing with Moffat rapid and flooding as was place beside the river. I used it some time ago when first installed 2yrs ago maybe now.

What has happened since. Did it get relocated due to river location and flooding?

Neil

Postby Neil » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:38 pm

It certainly is not live on the CPS map, although there is a nice picture of some recently painted bays on Plugshare. But no lights. The location is right on the edge of Moffat, where there would almost certainly have been no network cables immediately nearby, as well as a sparse upmarket residential street, which would probably be served by a cable inadequate for adding a #JourneyCharger connection. Meaning an expensive upgrade required.

One of the houses nearby has a Spitfire in the garden!
Neil Swanson

neil.swanson@eva.scot

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:25 pm

There's an EVolt Smart Standard Type 2 post beside the rapid in the Broom's Road car park in Dumfries. It is not powered up. Does anyone know what is happening with this? No CPS label or other identifier on it.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:54 pm

With the Haddington charger being down last month, which I rely on somewhat as cuts 6 miles off + about 30 mins of additional travel needed to get down to the Borders every day, I found myself going on the CPS website every day to see if there was an update on the status of this down charger. Have had the same experience with other local chargers I rely on before.

It prompted me to think this would be so much easier if I could logon to CPS website and request an update by text msg/email for any down charger, to let me know when it was back online. So I recently tweeted CPS who said:

"Hi, this is something which is being discussed for future development work. Thanks for the feedback"

If CYC can sort this out it would surely help them, as a high ratio % of their daily website traffic and server strain must be people continually logging on to see status of chargers, and particular chargers with current downtime for updates.

I hope it happens, perhaps EVAS have already had this collective idea and though before and voiced it?

Neil

Postby Neil » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:33 pm

It was put to them along with a host of other ideas that we believe will enhance customer experience, including the possibility of having dynamic data passed to the likes of Plugshare and Zap-Map. For the hosts a better and more meaningful set of metrics was requested, as well as a RAG (Red, Amber, Green) table of network points and problems. Some of these are now in development. We'd like to see the social commenting switched on in CPS map too. Notifications would probably be best handled through the app, notifications clogging up SMS services is also a recognised problem for mobile companies.

The site traffic volume is probably very low, as the number of users is infinitesimal by web standards at the moment. As the EV fleet grows it has the potential to be an issue if not addressed.
Neil Swanson

neil.swanson@eva.scot

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:39 am

Is this charging error familiar to anyone:

"You are not authorised to start charging. Please contact your access provider."

This occurs when you scan your CPS card. When it happens you sometimes get lucky after a 3rd or 4th scan it recognises it. Other times your options are, go away and come back later and it will work, utilise the emergency stop button to reset charger, do a hard full reset of the charger, or call CPS.

Is not a new issue also, I first documented it 1st January 2017.

(see attached photo for charger screen example of the error)
Attachments
charger-error.jpg

membership

Postby membership » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:41 pm

Not familiar, although I have seen it before , on ABB units. Once at Dunbar, once at FRB. Both times I attributed it to my pocketful of RFID cards, or my NFC phone as it worked when I left them in the car. The reader may see other units on your person and get a false reading. However, that isn't the only cause I'm sure.

Which units is it happening on for you?
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”