Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
noahs-dad

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Mar 31, 2018 9:48 am

I can't think what charger FRB is?

It is particularly common to ABB units. Taking into account a ratio of times used a charger to times it has happened, nothing to do with Dunbar being my most local Rapid, but it is most common at that Rapid. I posted it on here once or twice, I recall Busby was not convinced on my own theories, and it is certainly is very arguable but I believe it is network-communications issues. The Dunbar area has general issues with TV transmitter signals and always has. The charger gets exposed to lots of wind also. I don't know if fog impacts signal reception with the Rapid network? You rarely get fog around Dunbar, but there is always fog a few miles away that can block some transmission signals. Again not sure how a charger signal may differ to TV or Radio signals?

The other thing I touched on before and on previously is that, this error never ever happened at ABB units for me until 1st Jan 2017. I am specific about this date, is this is the first time it happened on a New Years Day trip and the first time I reported it to CPS. This of course was at the time of the transfer to our old CYC cards to the new CPS cards, and the whole "Charge Place Scotland" activation thing. It all seems a bit coincidental. I know CYC and CPS is the same thing and uses the same systems, network, storage, structure etc. But only the people who work in their office know the ins and outs of it all. It could be something specific that changed after the CPS move? A bit of new programming code, or CPS being moved to a different server? Who knows?

So anyway, Dunbar is most frequent, I have had the error at Wallyford and Haddington (much less so), and perhaps on one occasion at Sheriffhall P+R, but not 100% sure on that. I don't believe I have ever had it on the North East England A1 (Northumberland area) rapids that use ABB either.

I also recall there was something similar with E-Volt chargers. I have experienced a similar issue with the E-Volt at Straiton P+R, and Whitburn Pool. Obviously although a similar issue was a different sort of error displayed and experienced as a different interface. Not really used these chargers for ages or with any regulatory to know if still an issue.

What I might do is, I might try using my wife's CPS card for a month or two and log any dates/times/locations I see the error. And then use my card and do the same and see what I can catalogue.

There is definitely more to it, you just know when there is something not right and an underlying issue don't you....

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:03 pm

Dunkeld rapid is showing a fault message when trying to start a DC charge on CCS. AC is working ok.
It is not showing up at all on the CPS map.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:38 pm

Jon Oates wrote:Dunkeld rapid is showing a fault message when trying to start a DC charge on CCS. AC is working ok.
It is not showing up at all on the CPS map.

Now reported to be back in service following repairs.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Sun May 13, 2018 9:08 pm

Craigton Campus, Dundee
Type 2 post

Right-hand connector ('B') appears to have damaged PP pin with one of the metal leaves folded back. Resulting in inability to push plug all the way home. This may result in users being billed the minimum fee of £1, but not receiving a charge from that side. I have reported it to CPS.

Left-hand connector ('A') working fine.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Sun May 20, 2018 9:35 pm

Rouken Glen Rd, Thornliebank rapid has been out-of-order for two weeks.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:12 pm

Jon Oates wrote:Rouken Glen Rd, Thornliebank rapid has been out-of-order for two weeks.

Back in service, but cutting out part way through a charge on DC. This morning it returned an error saying that the car was requesting too high a power level.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 pm

The "You are not authorised to start charging. Please contact your access provider." problem/error does not seem to exist any more?

I hadn't even noticed or thought about it, until speaking to another local driver the other day, but I have not had the problem occur for at least 6-7 weeks or maybe more. The other local driver was saying the same thing. I was previously getting it fairly frequently at local chargers. Sometimes I had to leave without a charge, other times it was just very frustrating and time wasting trying to start a charge. There was some talk somewhere I vaguely recall of CPS updating and getting all registered/previously used cars pre-sync'd or something like that with their system or each charger. Maybe whatever that was has now happened and it has reduced the odds of this problem occurring to 0.1% or something?

Some sort of fix must have happened anyway. These things don't just stop happening by themselves.

Matt Beard

Postby Matt Beard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:37 am

A number of these machines have suffered problems with damp in the past. It is the middle of summer. </cynic>

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:09 pm

Western Isles
Castlebay Ferry Terminal: Triple connector rapid charger out of order (for a significant length of time). Is there a plan for this to be repaired or replaced?
Castlebay Council Offices: eVolt twin Mennekes Type 2 out of order
Eriskay Ferry Terminal: eVolt twin Mennekes Type 2 out of order

That makes three in a row if island hopping via the Western Isles (Barra & Eriskay). All are suffering the ravages of the salty atmosphere, with rust on the panels and flaps. Time for a review of rugged construction of charge points in exposed areas?

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:32 pm

arrochar comms down last week, looks back up, bummer in the wee sma' hours last week...

rouken glen another no comms#er for me today, not even listed on CPC for me either !

both looked in order wit aboot the fictional white list thingy ?

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”