East Lothian chargepoint suggestions:responses required

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Neil

East Lothian chargepoint suggestions:responses required

Postby Neil » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:49 am

EVA Scotland have received a request from the East Lothian Council Transport Planning Officer:
" I welcome suggestions from your members and others for locations for on-street charging points in East Lothian, particularly where these will benefit EV owners without private off-street parking. We are putting together a list of priority locations for funding over the next few weeks, so the sooner we receive these suggestions, the better!"

Submit your ideas here, on the Facebook group, https://facebook.com/groups/evascotland, or directly to me. They will be collated and submitting them on April 2nd 2018.
Neil Swanson
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those doing it.

neil.swanson@eva.scot

noahs-dad

Re: East Lothian chargepoint suggestions:responses required

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:30 pm

I will provide some useful suggestions over the weekend when I have time, based on my local knowledge as a resident of East Lothian. EVAS can do what it wishes with that. All the "big" towns (Musselburgh, Haddington, Dunbar, North Berwick) have had lots of new build housing in recent years, much of which have no driveway and only on street parking. That must be a good and obvious place to start?

Probably best not to get too sidetracked, but seeing EVAS have a contact with East Lothian now, maybe they can ask if they can fix the many T2's that have been faulty and offline for years now, some of which seem to be now be getting pulled out (Macmerry confirmed, Haddington expected or already happened).... what is happening to these public funded T2 posts that are getting removed?

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:51 am

Been giving a bit of thought to this while sitting at chargers last couple of days. In summary for those not familiar with East Lothian, is a small wide spread county of about guessing approx. 120,000. Biggest towns probably don't have much more than 10,000 residents. As such although there are some flat properties, these are very few. I will mention this to any local drivers I see in next few days to see what suggestions they might have. There are going to be a lot of small towns that are left out, you can't please everyone I guess. I am time short so will plonk on a few recommendations here and there and keep updating...

Adrian might want to input of course and I have no problem if he wants to question any suggestions I make...

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:52 am

1. TRANENT - starting with this, as after the 4 "big" towns this is surely the next biggest, and it currently has 0 public chargers.

Town centre chargers are a good central location that many local homes would have access to. There is council property in this area for easy planning/install at the Swimming pool. There is a community centre by Church Street, and a library on Winton Place. Or any practical street in that area where a charger could be installed would give local walking distance access to a lot of housing (which I guess is the main goal here). There is of course the High Street which has a modest number of shops. Might attract a few shoppers, but there is not enough there that you spend a lot of time in the High Street.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:36 pm

2. EAST LINTON - Reasonable sized town with lots of variety of housing and growing population. 0 chargers there.

A charger anywhere in the town would be of benefit, and be of reasonable walking distance to most homes.

3. PRESTONPANS - Fairly big town, only charger is a Scotrail Station charger, which I do not think should be a consideration factor for many reasons.

Again, near reasonable walking distance of a good number of homes and it will tick boxes.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:55 pm

east lothian charging.jpg

I am going to be constructive, I am really pleased to see that East Lothian Council are starting to engage with a group like EVAS. That is very promising and bodes well for the future. The new planned "street charging" is a step in the right direction to. A named dedicated contact who is able to engage with local drivers would be very helpful, as who better to communicate with than those who actually do it and are well aware of issues?

The map cut and pasted from Charge Place Scotland, shows there is a bit of a charging 'blackhole' (as elec. drivers refer to it) in the South West of the county. Any of these villages in this area will benefit from a T2 charger, and it will be a useful backup for those coming from the Borders, heading south or north.

North Berwick in the North of East Lothian is long overdue a Rapid charger. The South West area which is the gateway to the Scottish Borders would benefit from a Rapid charger also.

Perhaps when the new on street chargers are being installed, the contracters could also be contracted to fix some of the long term CPS network broken chargers that are not planned for removal?....

(a) Dunbar Bleachingfield Community Centre, 7kW post, 1 side is down for years, the other side while can get to work does have a fault also.

(b) Musselburgh Sports Centre/Swimming Pool, 7kW post, has not worked for years.

And what about the now confirmed by myself at least 2 x removed previously offline T2 7kW posts that have been removed recently? MacMerry 7kW (Penston House), and Haddington 7kW (John Muir House) at least 1, probably likely x 2 posts have all been removed. What has happened to these tax payer funded posts? Can these be used for relocation?

They could be donated to larger local employers who could make use of them and would be willing to install them for staff for workplace charging? Or better still, discuss some destination charging at Tourist locations, castles, public parks, animal parks etc. There are a number of Council sports centres and swimming pools also still in need of T2 destination charging.

Feeling a bit more hopeful for East Lothian anyway. I know someone will be reading this, please continue to engage with the drivers (preferably in a direct way too seeing there is not many of us) and address the issues and plug the gaps. It does not need too much, and with a little bit of attention the area could have a charging infrastructure to be proud of, and be set for the comings years and see the local economy and tourism benefit from drawing in visiting elec. drivers.

jbsco

Postby jbsco » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm

East Linton, the COOP Food parking at the rear of the shop. There are some spaces there, but good access for the rest of the town, without clogging up the Main Street. The library is too far from the Main Street. Or could the council wait as the proposed rail halt will have a charger?

jbsco

Postby jbsco » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:32 pm

Oh and east fortune, the NMS is an obvious site, major attraction, no ev points.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:18 am

I thing the suggestions are for ‘public’ land (which includes on-street). The rear of the co-op would be private and not under council control!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”