Blair Drummond Safari Park has a charger

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
noahs-dad

Blair Drummond Safari Park has a charger

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:00 am

Some of you may know this already, but I just found out the Safari Park has a T2 charger!

Attached photo is not mine and is courtesy of another driver via Twitter.
blairdrummond.jpg

About time too. I have e-mailed and tweeted Blair Drummond and others many time in the past encouraging them. Admittedly I am a bit hardline in attitude, but I can now end my self imposed boycott of their tourist attraction. I will be taking my family there soon. Is that proof that charging provision does give footfall and the economy a boost?...

Buzby

Re: Blair Drummond Safari Park has a charger

Postby Buzby » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:18 am

It has been there since late 2016 (and on PlugShare) so I’m unclear as to why you are surprised? It is restricted as only for visitors who use the attraction, and it is behind a locked gate when the park is closed. However, it isn’t a Rapid, and you’d certainly have to pass a few of them to get to this location.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Apr 22, 2018 2:51 pm

I am surprised because:

(a) is only a minority of Scotland's tourist attractions that have charging.
(b) I directly communicated with the park in the past about it and although they communicated well, they shown no interest in charging provision.

I also don't religiously check on a regular basis every tourist destination or shopping centre or whatever location I come across that does not have a charger, to see if that situation has changed? Who does? That is a lot of admin to add to an already overly burdoned admin load the average BEV driver has.

Blair Drummond does not need a Rapid IMHO. 7kW Destination charging is perfectly fine for the location.

Scally

Postby Scally » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:40 pm

noahs-dad wrote:
Blair Drummond does not need a Rapid IMHO. 7kW Destination charging is perfectly fine for the location.

Agreed: this type of destination charger is a real bonus because it cuts down on wasted time on rapids, and in the light of #rapidgate, it also protects batteries from overheating.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:42 pm

Had not realised the charger had been there so long. I was there in 2016 and didn't see it. I did use it in 2017 though, first plugshare check-in.

Worth note it's a 22kw post so please don't use longer than is necessary. Last time I used it I only needed 30mins which was perfect for visiting the meerkats etc and then moving before going to see the big animals.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:29 pm

Got round to visiting the Safari park at weekend. Did 150m round trip. Got there and home again with no stops. All thanks to a crappy little what is old tech T2, and what is now a crappy Leaf 24 I was driving too. On main fast roads (lucky no wind to contend with and a reasonably warm battery helped).

I tweeted BDSP as I really value these destination chargers. It made a good family day out even better as we did not have any charging stops. It supported the network to as I was not holding anyone up or needlessly using the rapid network.

And I took approx. say £2.50 of electricity from the BDSP charger. But with ticket prices of approx. £65, and another further £30 put into the BDSP economy from my family (and that was us being tight) I don't think they have much to worry about to offset those charging provision costs.

Would I have visited this weekend if they didn't have this charger? NO.

Still championing T2 destination charging, and bemoaning the lack of it in Scotland. If there are any other good places to visit with T2 charging let me know, and I shall visit and support them.
Attachments
BlairDrummond.jpg

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”