Pointless Chargers at ARI in Aberdeen!

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
geo-jamie

Re: Pointless Chargers at ARI in Aberdeen!

Postby geo-jamie » Thu Apr 26, 2018 12:32 pm

Neil wrote:First of all,can we establish the facts. The posts have been sourced from a supplier, have arrived marked up BUT we do not know if they are connected to any network. OCPP means they could be on any network. Matt, have you tried to activate them with any (or no) RFID card. As Buzby said, validation may not be required, as is the case for the PodPoint units at Glasgow Fort. Some just require any old card to activate, then the same card to end. If you have tried, please let us know.

After that we need to contact the hospital management to find out more. Look forward to hearing how you get/got on.

I have quite a few rfid cards collected over the years (some valid and some now redundant) , but none of my cards would activate these chargers.

You need to order a card from ecotap ! or you can use the ecotap App in " guest modus "
IMG_6655.jpg
Using this method you request in advance how much " KwH " you require , then pay by paypal !

Great, if you visit the hospital every day - a total faff if you are just in for a short visit to see someone ! You will spend more time in the carpark trying to get the charger turned on than you will in the ward visiting the patient !!! - then after your visit you wont want to get out of the carpark because you will have over estimated how much kWh you paid for in advance !!

I do not know what the price per kWh is as its not listed anywhere that I can see

Matt Beard

Postby Matt Beard » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:37 pm

Neil wrote:First of all,can we establish the facts. The posts have been sourced from a supplier, have arrived marked up BUT we do not know if they are connected to any network. OCPP means they could be on any network. Matt, have you tried to activate them with any (or no) RFID card. As Buzby said, validation may not be required, as is the case for the PodPoint units at Glasgow Fort. Some just require any old card to activate, then the same card to end. If you have tried, please let us know.

After that we need to contact the hospital management to find out more. Look forward to hearing how you get/got on.

Hi - they had a laminated A4 notice taped to them saying to sign up with the dutch network and be prepared to pay by PayPal. I tried all the RFID cards I had, but none worked. I also downloaded the app identified on the notice, but the nearest charger it showed was Edinburgh, but it did invite me to scan the QR code sticker on the charger (there was not one... I even looked under the notice).

If I had had more time I would have taken photos, but I was getting late for an appointment and needed to move my car to prevent blocking the chargers while not plugged in!

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm

Here is a constructive post from me for a change.

"Funding to improve car parking was pledged to NHS Grampian by The Wood Foundation, set up by businessman Sir Ian Wood and his family."

"There is no charge for using the new multi-storey car park but it is not available for staff. The Wood Foundation funded the project."

So their is no private ownership and the car park is owned by the Hospital Trust it would seem.

"Our aim was to help fund a new car park that would alleviate the stress for patients and their families caused by the current inadequate parking.

You would hope that statement includes BEV drivers, for anyone visiting the hospital is often a stressful time of anyone's life and the last thing you want to do be doing is driving round aimlessly looking for a well hidden car charger, and finding it is ICE'D, then worrying about it later in a time of crisis, or being inconvenienced and further stressed by not being able to simply get a charge.

I am sure a few of us will have bad hospital charging experiences? The Edinburgh Western General in my parts is an absolute disgrace and you should never visit it expecting to come away with a charge.

Sources:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-41733915
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-43142657
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-n ... d-36865221

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:38 pm

it would be nice to see charge facilities in hospitals, however, I would never have any expectation of getting a charge at a hospital

I also struggle to figure out how a hospital could possibly fairly provide some limited charge spots for staff and visitors

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:57 am

At an even more basic level, most times I have had to go to hospital, it was impossible to find any parking spaces whatsoever - so expectations of finding and using a Chargepoint has always been a bonus, rather than an expectation. Clearly Dumfries doesn’t have the crush on space that (say) Stobhill or New Southern General has, but hopefully it will get better.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Chunkybuns

Postby Chunkybuns » Thu May 17, 2018 7:29 am

I think they have been activated on the ecotap website now. They are appearing on the app. I don't think there is a charge for using them.

Anyone want to test one, I can't as I am staff.

Matt Beard

Postby Matt Beard » Fri May 18, 2018 9:12 am

Chunkybuns wrote:I think they have been activated on the ecotap website now. They are appearing on the app. I don't think there is a charge for using them.

Anyone want to test one, I can't as I am staff.

App says €0.30 per kWh... translation "Don't charge here, park then use a rapid on the way home"

Edit: Oh, and if you are NHS Staff, the chargers in the staff car parks are still free to use!!

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Fri May 18, 2018 10:58 am

Has anyone tried to join? They card may be free, but the website will not process your application unless you provide a Direct Debit (you may want to pay with PayPal, but this option isn’t available to applicants). The cost is €0.25 per Kw, which is Ex VAT. It is not clear whether they will bill in Euros or Sterling - which could cause greater cost in currency conversion.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Fri May 18, 2018 12:31 pm

How to make a complicated mess out of something so simple.

While I enjoy a challenge, I think I prefer the Dumfries & Galloway Royal Infirmary model - drive up & plug-in. No accounts, no fees, no cards/apps. Perhaps a letter to the Transport Minister enquiring about the lack of joined-up thinking across government departments is in order.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Sun May 20, 2018 8:47 pm

Actually - the National Hospital in Clydebank was first - a white NHS post with a switch on the front you rotate from 0 to 1 to start and eng charging.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”