Forthcoming Meeting with Transport Scotland

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
membership

Forthcoming Meeting with Transport Scotland

Postby membership » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:12 pm

EVA Scotland will be meeting with TS in the next few weeks. Please list any topics you would like considered for the agenda here, Please remember that we do not generally have sufficient time to spend the meeting discussing problems with individual charge points. However, scenarios like the situation in Inverness currently are more significant and will be tabled. If the list of topics exceeds 10 they may be subject to a poll
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

kentie

Re: Forthcoming Meeting with Transport Scotland

Postby kentie » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:37 pm

The most important point for me is to really have the charge point network all over Scotland expanded quicker since it is likely that next year will see a further jump in EVs on the roads. Already, in Edinburgh we regularly have to queue for a charge. Fountainbridge is the nearest thing to a hub. We need more of these and under cover at that. I seem to remember at a meeting a couple of years ago, hubs were considered to be the answer. Where are they today?

Bruce

Postby Bruce » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:04 pm

Two issues I have are there’s been no mention in any of the Transport Scotland funded or Authority partnered projects (Dundee Hubs/Edinburgh 2023 rollout etc) of chargers faster than 150kW which personally I find important, as BEV batteries become bigger than the current general offerings ie 60+ kW and with the exponential uptake of BEV’s in general it will be a double whammy demand on 50kW chargers. ie busier and being used for longer per use. Plus to convert ICE owners faster charging has to become something Scotland tries to lead on! Planning now for smattering of 150+kW chargers on the main routes needs to start and it needs to be talked about.

Second I wish they would clarify their strategy on new roads ie AWPR in Aberdeen or newly upgraded roads like the current / future duelling of several trunk roads. I’ve seen little mention of EV charge points/hubs being tied into them. For example the AWPR, Transport Scotland’s / SGovt jewel in the crown, current big project.. there are to be no EV chargers linked to the road and no new ones near by it. Only Aberdeen Council having a few at P&R’s somewhat nearby that are already heavily used ie Kingswells..
There should have been at least some provision talked about / planned from the very start put into the road, quite visible when passing to allow quick access and to show those passing it is the future. Others may disagree but think it was an open goal and they kinda missed out on free EV publicity when it is launched.

Kentie: Edinburgh Council is currently putting through the biz case for installing a few hundred destination and Rapids around the City. :)

MearnsScot

Postby MearnsScot » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:47 pm

The need for a massive increase in chargers to encourage more people to switch to EVs is obvious but preferably not the seemingly haphazard “let’s put it there” attitude that’s prevailed over the last few years. Dundee is a fine example of how it should be done but here in Glasgow we have rapid chargers in multi-storey car parks instead of rows of destination chargers. It’s almost as if the people in charge have the money but no idea about what’s required by EV drivers. Surely Transport Scotland could employ someone with a big map of the whole of Scotland who could calculate what’s required.

Possibly more important, is the maintenance and the need for urgent action to repair the existing infrastructure. In my local area the only rapid charger was out of use from the beginning of May this year till a couple of weeks ago despite many people repeatedly reporting it to CPS and the local council. There’s plenty of other examples of long term problems with faulty chargers around Scotland (let me know if you’re not aware of them) and without fast repairs even existing experienced EV drivers like myself are not confident that we can complete out of range journeys.

Parking fines for ICE drivers blocking spaces also need to be introduced. This would be great revenue for the cash strapped councils.

Education of new and many existing EV drivers might go some way to stop people thinking that if you have an EV then you should park in an EV “parking” space which is actually a charging space! I’ve noticed this has become more common as more EVs are on the road. Transport Scotland could make it mandatory that your excellent booklet on Charging Etiquette be part of the handover process for all EV purchases. That would at least be a start.

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:01 am

> immediate charging for charging 15p kwh fast / 25-30p kwh for rapids, maybe even per minute for rapids
... knock all this local grazing etc on the head and see true usage statistics
> CYC card to require online ev etiquette testing
> EVA suggest a charger listing somewhere better than a forum
> More carrot for business place chargers with focus on non-city locations

Martin Lee

Postby Martin Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:17 pm

I agree with most of the earlier requests. However if transport Scotland can't come up with a national plan then EVAS ought to produce one and use it to hold the government to account.

With a few exceptions existing locations away from the central belt make a lot of sense. If they had two rapids and an AC post as backup it would make long distance travel much more palatable than it is now.

However trunk roads need even better provision. Four rapids per site at least two of them 150kW ought to be the minimum.

Any new sites should be capable of expansion to a dozen 150kW chargers. This could be supplied by a single 1,000kVA transformer and metered at LV. Any bigger causes problems with maintenance and a new site a few miles down the road would be the preferred expansion option.

Martin Lee

Postby Martin Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:24 pm

While I agree with Rosco on the range of prices I have suggested to OIC a price of 18p per kWh for AC chargers up to 22kW and 24p per kWh for rapids.

I also suggested an overstay fee of 10p per minute for the first hour and 20p per minute after that.

To apply after one hour on all rapids 24 hours per day and at AC chargers up to 22kW after four hours between 8am and midnight. This would allow someone to plug in after 8pm and move before 8am without incurring the overstay fees making it possible for these chargers to be used overnight by people without home charging who live near them.

Martin Lee

Postby Martin Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:31 pm

I would also like EVAS to make the point that transport Scotlands 20p per kWh limit as suggested to be applied in Edinburgh has resulted in connection fees. I object strongly to connection fees.

First they are unfair. People with smaller batteries are charged much more per kWh and hence per mile.

Secondly the variable per kWh rate will encourage people to use a two stop strategy rather than a three stop strategy. This will result in people hanging on to get 95% plus charge rather than moving off at 80% or less.

Martin Lee

Postby Martin Lee » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:36 pm

My final request is in relation to differential pricing. Rapids cost much more and ought to be seen as a premium service and charged at a higher rate. I think a differential of 5p per kWh is required to encourage people to use AC chargers rather then rapids.

As such I'd like to see transport Scotland change the price guidance to a max of 20p per kWh for AC chargers up to 22kW and a max of 30p per kWh for rapids along with a minimum 5p per kWh differential between the two prices.

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:13 pm

I'm saving my breath for seeing transformational nationwide charging.... I think a Tesla M3 and access to superchargers for odd jaunts the length of country creates an I'm all right jack approach.

From an altruistic perspective, charging must always be cheaper at home AND even cheaper off-peak.
After that, growing the numbers of accessible fast chargers seems to me to offer better value as these things generally will have a better lifetime than the must have rapids that you have to hang around......

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”