Charger and Socket Types

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
TSAPAberdeen

Re: Charger and Socket Types

Postby TSAPAberdeen » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:12 pm

I think the problem is that there are two different powers of charger referred to as "fast charge". 7kW single phase and 22kW 3 phase. I'm a bit confused as to how they can both be fast if one has the potential to be faster than the other.

I've always referred to 3kW as slow, 7kW as standard, 22kW as fast and 43kW/50kW as rapid. This seemed logical to me but my logic may be flawed so apologies if I have this wrong. I wonder then if other Councils have found the same as me with 7kW and 22kW and are referring to the the 22kW as fast, the 7kW as medium and the 3kW as standard.

Just a thought

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Thu May 01, 2014 4:00 pm

I think the speed of the charge is irrelevant to many - they just want to know if they can successfully hook up first, the speed of the charge is dependant on their vehicle.

A rapid charger is of no use to me - not because it is rapid, but the fact I need a T2 socket (NOT a T2 plug). Which is why the ongoing confusion of listing a a rapid charge site as T2 will catch many out.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Evan

Postby Evan » Fri May 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I think of the Type 2 socket installations as "standard" too.

Is there any way of identifying these as being 7kW or 22kW, or are they always 7kW?

And are the tethered AC chargers with the type 2 plug always 43kW?
http://www.eva-scotland.org/evlist - try our EV charger experience web app from your phone, next time you use public charging!

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”