new model leaf

Discussion of the technical aspects of electric vehicles
scottyd

new model leaf

Postby scottyd » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:22 pm

read in todays sun motoring section the new 2018 leaf goes on sale in february shows first look at top half only it will be unveiled next month
it will have 60w battery with a range of UP to 240 miles hard to believe £30,000 also a 40k battery up to 165 miles for around £25,000
the new leaf will come with e.pedal basically a step forward in rengenerative braking and one pedal driving with one flip of a switch the technology
turns your accelerator into a.e pedal allowing you to accelerate decelerate and stop using the e.pedal the new tesla does not arrive until 2019 does up
to 220 miles cost up to £30.000 ad there is a 5000.000 waiting list

noahs-dad

Re: new model leaf

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:58 pm

If that is all accurate info then it sounds fantastic, if a little pricey. Will see a whole new wave of electric driving newbies who have money to spend.

Scally

Postby Scally » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

I suspect the £30k Tesla is the bare-bones car, with a 50 kWh battery - and Leaf will be aiming to beat that fair and square.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:15 pm

I understand that before the '18 Leaf hits the showrooms,Nissan have sold off their battery factory in Sunderland to a third party, who they will purchase assembled packs for the nearby plant. This doesn't bode well for future development or henhancement of packs - unless they feel they've gone as far as they can?
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVAS Communications

Neil

Postby Neil » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:20 pm

The sale of the battery factory is more of a positive. I'd be very surprised if Nissan didn't however retain a significant stake.

However, the divesting battery factory is opened up to a far larger market. Lets face it, would Ford buy batteries with a Nissan brand on them? A third party brand is more palatable. So the scope is for a far greater market, with enhanced development. Ultimately Nissan is a car manufacturer, with the batteries a sideline. Tesla is a tech company that makes cars, batteries and solar roofs. For Nissan the batteries are/were a distraction in the long term. IMHO :D
Neil Swanson
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those doing it.

neil.swanson@eva.scot

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:46 pm

I've got the opposite take - when has outsourcing ever achieved good value for the primary manufacturer. Where once they were able to control and develop their own specifications, they'll now have to take what they are given - and join a queue of customers that the new cell manufacturer also has to keep in with. Think divorce, with none of the benefits! As for retaining a stake, this wasn't mentioned - but if you buy enough you can have any name you like on them, whether Sunderland can manage the economies of scale Chinese manufacturers like ADL's supplier can do is a case in point. I do recall during our last visit to Nissan, the battery factory was off-limits. It looks as though it might stay that way!
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVAS Communications

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:13 pm

Well the reveal has been made and Nissan have egg on their face. 150mile range.... seriously!
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

Scally

Postby Scally » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:01 pm

It will do fine as a stop gap: they have also announced a 60 kWh Leaf in 2019 or so - on PCP you can have your cake and eat it, then eat it , then eat it again, every 18 months or so.

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:25 pm

Well if 40kwh = 150miles I can only assume 60kwh will = around 225miles. Which on the surface seems ok, but Renault have a bigger pack Zoe on the cards for 2019/2020, suggested as 50 or 60kwh so that will kick Leaf into the weeds again. Model 3 will have similar range but good performance. It seems that Nissan are less able to compete these days for some unknown reason.

I honestly expected them to announce some addition to their EV line up. A QQ EV would sell pretty well if it had a 200mile range.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:17 pm

pokey wee zoe vs solid leaf vs sexy Tesla vs overpriced odd i3 .....
(let the flaming commence .....)

Leaf seems to deliver alot of practical improvements at a price point without setting any1s heather/knickers on fire

strangely, whilst nothing super-duper-special, I'm actually impressed

Return to “Electric Vehicles - Technical”