Can a hard fused portable charger cable plug be fixed?

Discussion of the technical aspects of electric vehicles
noahs-dad

Can a hard fused portable charger cable plug be fixed?

Postby noahs-dad » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:49 pm

My 3-pin charging plug for the I-Miev was always iffy, didn't have a great connection. But it has been zapped for good having been exposed to rain water and moisture and does not work.

The plug is hard fused and there is no way of getting into it to see what wires there is and where they go, let alone replacing it. I did try changing the small 13a fuse tube but is not that, the plug is just propper zapped.

But in theory, it could be cut at the cable, plug thrown away and a new plug bought, and the wires connected to the new plug, right? Is is just a standard plug that would be needed for this?

I am thinking I might offer the Jorro electrician who is round on Friday, a wee homer if he wants to fix it.
Attachments
3-pin-charger.jpg

Chunkybuns

Re: Can a hard fused portable charger cable plug be fixed?

Postby Chunkybuns » Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:22 am

Looking at the photograph, it looks like there is discolouration of the flex behind the plug. Might want to cut back beyond that to see whats going on.

Other than that, it should just be a case of putting a new plug on. Pre-moulded plugs are a pain.

noahs-dad

Re: Can a hard fused portable charger cable plug be fixed?

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:24 pm

Chunkybuns wrote:Looking at the photograph, it looks like there is discolouration of the flex behind the plug. Might want to cut back beyond that to see whats going on.

Other than that, it should just be a case of putting a new plug on. Pre-moulded plugs are a pain.

Ah yes, that was me, I added sealent when I acquired the car/3 pin plug, to better secure the cable as it was a bit loose, and there was a dodgy connection so if it wasn't tight and angled in a particular way, it would kill the connection and stop the charging if not positioned perfectly. It is 9 yr's old to be fair, and the way these things hang sometimes from public chargers and frequently getting pulled in and out of sockets, some wear and tear was not unusual.

As it happens, it has been fixed this morning. I bought a standard 13a white 3-pin plug I bought for £2 from ASDA, and the Jorro electrician who was round installing new chargers at my home, fixed it for me in 2 mins. Tested and working once again and like new. Is also a great piece of mind backup for this crappy low range BEV. I once again have T2 charging as a safety option should a Rapid let me down (I have an adaptor which lets me safely T2 charge via the 3 pin plug on any public T2 post).

Return to “Electric Vehicles - Technical”