Scotland > North Wales

Discussion of long distance EV trips originating, finishing in or passing through Scotland
Scally

Scotland > North Wales

Postby Scally » Thu May 04, 2017 11:16 pm

Off to Snowdonia in the morning, wish me luck!
It appears to be a bit of a black hole for rapids, but hopefully I can find a three pin plug overnight.
Will report later ..

Scally

Re: Scotland > North Wales

Postby Scally » Fri May 12, 2017 12:35 pm

Really good run: 310 miles down on Friday, 9am > 7pm : four of us on board, with four Ecotricity charges, 310 back on Monday, 10 am > 6.30 pm with only three Ecotricity charges (one on freevend) and a bit of gentle driving in between in gorgeous Snowdonia and the Lleyn peninsula: 710 miles in total.
Average speed on the long run home, (inc charges) 36 mph.
Stayed at Bryn Gwynant YHA, which let us charge through the window overnight.
Warmer battery helped get some great energy efficiency and economy, despite the fact that we had to climb 4600 metres to get thyere and the same back - the equivalent of two Mt Blancs .

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri May 12, 2017 9:39 pm

Understandable you went EH on that trip with 4 of you in the car, probably would have done same myself (although with some internal grumbling!). At least you know the EH chargers are not going to be busy :)

Scally

Postby Scally » Sat May 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Only saw one other EV charging the whole way, a BMW rex. Ecotricity may not have killed the electric highway, but they have certainly eliminated all the PHEVs that used to hang around every pump like moths at a candle a year ago.
The costs of £6 a charge do not put me off when on long trips like these, it works out very economical: 6 paid charges, each of over 20 kWh, = £36 for the round trip = 10p per mile (discounting starting with a full battery each end) is hardly unfair. That's 2.5 pence per mile, per person. Spent more than that on coffee and snacks. But it is a shame you cannot charge in blocks of ten minutes., if you only have a smaller shortfall: its all or nothing. For that reason I maxxed my distance between chargers, getting down to 1% at one stage.

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Thu May 18, 2017 5:38 pm

When I did Fife - Manchester - back again in a day back in 2015 I didn't meet a single EV at an EH charger. I saw a few EVs on the roads too.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

Return to “Long distance EV trips”