Cottage charge Failed

Discussion of long distance EV trips originating, finishing in or passing through Scotland
roscoe

Cottage charge Failed

Postby roscoe » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm

Wee week in a coastal cottage

But every socket on 30ma rcd of supply which trips when car plugged in.... Only 5a lighting mcbs in non rcd side of db.

Darn didnt expect dat :cry:

noahs-dad

Re: Cottage charge Failed

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:20 am

I take it you can boil a kettle or use a microwave? Because they usually draw about 2.2kW or more.

I know there is some current issues with the 3-pin charger that are not a problem 99% of the time. I once tried an emergency charge via a plug socket on a petrol generator, the plug socket worked fine with anything else, but not the 3-pin charger.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:45 pm

Silly question, did you try leaving the EVSE plugged in while you reset the RCD? Might or might not help... RCDs can be sensitive to wiring faults that result in spill currents, but also can be sensitive to harmonics, which switched mode chargers can produce if not properly filtered. Really must put an oscilloscope on the supply when using the EVSE lead sometime...... (Zoe is more likely to be prone to this because of the way the Chameleon works AFAIK)
Neil Swanson
Those who say it can't be done should not interrupt those doing it.

neil.swanson@eva.scot

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:35 pm

yes, tried different circuits, in case residual residual lurking in the 'damp', I tried switching the RCD reset whilst plugged in and hopping in a variety of random low-leakage-current dances, gave up as there was fortunately a nice rapid a couple of miles away.

under differents desperate circumstances I'd have temp wired the consumer unit.... just never really expected 'the last resort' to be such a pita

Return to “Long distance EV trips”