Hamilton to Campbeltown

Discussion of long distance EV trips originating, finishing in or passing through Scotland
Gordon

Hamilton to Campbeltown

Postby Gordon » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:39 pm

I'm planning a trip to Campbeltown this weekend in a 24KW Zoe. I can charge at 22Kwh speeds so I am planning to stop at Arrochar and then Lochgilphead before going on to Campbeltown. Is thinking I can do this with two charges sheer hubris?

noahs-dad

Re: Hamilton to Campbeltown

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:07 am

Looking at the map on the CPS website, 1 charge stop on way there and 1 charge stop on way back is all you need, and looks a very simple and straight forward trip. 150ish mile trips are pretty routine for a 24kW BEV. Even if something went wrong, like you get unexpectedly diverted to a longer route, or extreme weather, as long as you have a means of locating on route chargers you will be fine.

Ideally 1 stop is all you will want with your car being a bit slower to charge. I don't travel with electronics and apps myself and although I have a charger database built into the cars sat nav system, if its an unfamiliar trip, then I always prepare postcodes for lots of chargers on route, and put them on a printed map. A lot of people with fancy tech iphones etc still do that too.

It really won't be needed, even for a new or inexperienced driver on this trip but a long extension reel if you have one (say 25M), and a portable 3-pin plug charger can give peace of mind.

Stiloboy

Postby Stiloboy » Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:08 pm

22kwh, just informing you so you don't run out. I find counting the kwh in Zoe is the best way to ensure you don't end up short on capcity/range.
Renault Zoe Q210 Dynamique Intens owner since March 2015.

Gordon

Postby Gordon » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:37 am

Thanks guys. I made it. The Zoe guessometer was showing I was 6 miles short of being able to reach Inverary by the time I got to Arrochar. I didn't fancy getting stranded on the Rest and Be Thankful so I did end up grabbing a charge there after all. The trip computer showed that the whole journey took 44Kw, so whilst it may have JUST been theoretically possible to make it on a single charge, it would have been a bit hairy.

Also spotted my second Tesla Model S, charging at the Campbeltown ferry terminal of all places.

Scally

Postby Scally » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 am

Glad you made it safely. I've made many trips on this route in the last year or two, including one over the water to Islay and Jura, and generally played safe - because some of the chargers are not 100 reliable, and they are are all singles. I would rather charge every forty or fifty miles for 20 or 30 minutes, than leave it to the last gasp saloon to prove a point.
By the way the charger at the Loch Fyne Oyster Bar, whilst slow, is a very handy extra point and the food is superb.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Return to “Long distance EV trips”