Installing public charger - where do I start

Discussion of charging at home and at work.
andrewskea

Installing public charger - where do I start

Postby andrewskea » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:25 pm

I'd like to install a charge point at my business that would be available for anybody to use (with a card). Where do I start? What does it cost? Is there any funding available?

noahs-dad

Re: Installing public charger - where do I start

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:20 pm

An email to electricvehiclesscotland@est.org.uk should sort you out. This is the contact email for the Home Charger and Workplace Charger funding processes.

The chap who's name I forget, that uses that email is very helpful. If what your looking to do is not considered a workplace charger, they will be able to point you in the right direction at least.

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:46 pm

out of interest does anyone know if there is a cost/fee now or proposed for the chargepoint owners to join the CPS network ?

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Thu Jun 22, 2017 2:55 pm

No it has never worked like that. If you want a free chargepoint installed there is criteria to be met and boxes to tick. A couple of the boxes being that you sign up to the CPS network and have your charger publicly available for X amount of time (2 years springs to mind?).

There have been known cases where public funded chargepoints have not been made public by the owners, the system is not enforced and is far from perfect, but it generally seems to have worked.

Adrian

Postby Adrian » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:46 pm

I installed the public charge point in Kinloch Rannoch that provides free renewable energy to EV drivers. The costs of the charge point itself was covered by the grant but we had to fund the cabling cost to the location. Relatively easy to obtain approval for the grant (thanks TS!) but rather harder to persuade a commercial installer to provide and install the equipment.

Currently we are not being charged anything by CPS for management, however the manufacturer wanted a 'service contract' which we felt was expensive for the use the charger is put to. So not sure what would happen now the unit is outside warranty if it breaks down.

andrewskea

Postby andrewskea » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Adrian,
Are there a choice of companies available to install the charger? Can you provide any links?
Where did you get the grant?
I assume the power is going through your meter - do you get any money to cover that?

Return to “Home and Work charging”