are we making progress ?

Discussion of charging at home and at work.
roscoe

are we making progress ?

Postby roscoe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 pm

I go through highs & lows thinking infrastructure is marching forwards, but am I being over optimistic ?

Been working in Bellshill aka Strathclyde Business Park the odd time, there is a council rapid that has been broke, closed or in use, otherwise of the 1000++ car parking space at all the offices I see heehaw bugger all evidence of work place charging. Plenty save-tax PHEVs scattered around but no one taking up installing any trickley chargers, I wonder if there is no belief or whether the pressure on parking makes the provision of chargers a flash-point or are we just at the early early adoptory stage still ?

Buzby

Re: are we making progress ?

Postby Buzby » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:23 pm

We’re well past the ‘early’ adopter stages - but each time I’ve researched why X has no chargers when it made sense to have it, found it was like the PFI lightbulb scenario - the incumbent owns nothing, can do nothing (or change a lightbulb). It has to be arranged by an officially sanctioned contractor of the property owner’s management portfolio. Everything that can be done has a price, and if there’s no price then it can’t be done. 9lightbulb changing is usually £90 plus VAT).

It all adds a level of complication, and providing workplace Chargepoints may have the standard costs covered, there certainly will no be any profit. In the scenario you suggest, you’d expect at least 6 Charging bays but with a cost of around £3k each it needs someone to take a stand and insist it be done.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 pm

I'm guessing the 'free' angle also is a put off at this time for park/work/hotel owners

If it was 20p kwh trickle or 40p kwh rapid, I wouldnt use it but be mighty glad on those oopshie days
. . for those travelling afar the trickle bays would help greatly, but its just a chicken n egg scenario right now.

surely tech/chargers has moved forwards and dense-tricklers ? 3x 4 wayers can be installed at lower per bay cost if say 12/24+

chris1982

Postby chris1982 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:23 am

having worked on the Strathclyde Business Park for nearly 6 years it doesn't surprise me. Even if some of the private building owners wanted to do it the park owners charges would probably make it prohibitive.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:32 pm

The free angle may not be the disincentive you think! I recall 8 years ago access to WiFi was always charged, and at Rates verging on extortion. Now, you would be hard-pressed fo find anyone contemplating a chargeable connection - invariably because mobile networks dropped the costs and introduced larger data limits, so BTs Public WiFi network has never turned a profit - EVA Director’s visit different hotels for their meetings, and it is good to hear (when we enquiry about charging) that in most cases, plans are in hand for one or more posts. Only one hotel explained they weren’t interested and had no plans to offer any.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:24 pm

I suppose we can't deny there has been progress but it is snail pace stuff, very very slow to say the least. At this rate I feel like most of us won't be around before it goes anywhere. The UK public and culture I still maintain is not that widely interested, supportive or ready for BEV driving.

The situation for BEV drivers currently is clearly inadequate, but while affordable high BEV range is not really there, BEV driving remains mainly free/cheap and that is the nugget for me (and the rest of you?). I do a daily 100 mile round trip commute in a crappy 9 yr old Imiev every day. I could do it in under 1hr each way in a petrol car, but I do it in 1.5-2hrs in an Imiev (without using heating). I rely on public charging, it is not possible to do it without charging stops. I save a few quid and I am being green. 99.9% of the UK population would not even consider such a thing to save a few quid or be green. Many BEV drivers wouldn't either. Maybe that is an extreme example, but it is a good personal example none the less.

Even after all this time, everyone still asks (whatever BEV you drive), how far does/can it go?

That is not a wider population that is ready for BEV driving. And the politicians are not ready for it yet either

Scally

Postby Scally » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:50 am

Snails pace? Are you jesting?
I bought my 2013 Leaf almost 5 years ago, and in those days the infrastructure was almost zero: maybe half a dozen Rapids in Central Scotland, amd you needed a degree in Geography to find them. Nowadays we are spoiled for choice.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

eoosterhoorn

Postby eoosterhoorn » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:17 pm

Scally wrote:Snails pace? Are you jesting?
I bought my 2013 Leaf almost 5 years ago, and in those days the infrastructure was almost zero: maybe half a dozen Rapids in Central Scotland, amd you needed a degree in Geography to find them. Nowadays we are spoiled for choice.

Agree here, there has been a lot of change. Stirling was one of the councils that was not considering a charger at all. Ecotricity placed one at the services, but now we have several rapids and multiple fast chargers there.
Nissan Leaf (since 03-2013) owner

mgill

Postby mgill » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:32 pm

As a country (Scotland), EV ownership is still lower than the rest of the UK. Yes we’ve made some progress with the charging network. No the progress isn’t fast enough.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 pm

Yes "snails pace" for sure, for that I have no doubts. 5 years is a long time, for such little progress. We badly lack dual/triple side by side Rapids. I have had to crawl home a couple of nights in the last week because of an Outlander wasting a Rapid. That Outlanders are still going around and killing the network at times, is testament to the snails pace.

In my own locality I am happy to acknowledge all I had was an Ikea Rapid when I started, and now there is so much more. But still a snails pace sort of progress. And to use my own locality which I know well to example this, when was the last time a Rapid unit was installed in the Borders or East Lothian? How many working T2 chargers do either of these councils provide (one hand needed with plenty spare fingers lets over).

When are the destination chargers coming as standard? When will we be talking about the odd few places that don't have one, rather than the odd few that do have one? It is not just the charging provision but the general issues that we face that have seen little or no progress. ICE'n, EV's using charging spaces as parking spaces, and so on. We still don't even have a default of automatic charge vend provided if there is network issues.

Return to “Home and Work charging”