are we making progress ?

Discussion of charging at home and at work.
Scally

Re: are we making progress ?

Postby Scally » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:41 pm

Hopefully the new vehicles with better range like the Leaf 2 and Zoe coming on the market, together with the second hand ones coming off PCP, will help to create more momentum for all kinds of charging. A lot has been learned in those five years - some chargers that are never used, single rapids in very popular locations being swamped etc: regard it as work in progress and keep lobbying your MSPs and correcting bad media reports!
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:50 am

I would like to see more destination trickle chargers, however since l can do 2--3days between charges in reality i should not need a charger & my leaf would prob be 'icing' a more deserving ev er perhaps someone that cannot get a home chargepoint.

Also there is so much pressure on parking spaces we still havent solved the people parking charging issues.

I guess looking down fondly at dumfries hosp with 40x3kw one has to conceed progress is moving ahead slowly.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:22 pm

I was at Ocean Terminal Shopping Centre (Leith) today. There was no charging provision, in about 10 floors of mass multi-storey parking. That is not progress is it? If anyone wants to suggest otherwise, please do (I am listening), but please also demonstrate some justification for how this reflects progress that the majority of our shopping centres lack provision.

On the way home I stopped off at Wallyford Rapid as in my last 10% charge. A Tesla was nearing the end of its charge, and another 2014 plate 24kW Leafer had just got there before me. He commented to me about how the area had improved from just a single Ikea Rapid back in the day to what we have now, but that it was also unfortunately much busier traffic wise at any Rapid, and it was common and expected to see other drivers now. I have to agree. We generally have a decent spread/coverage now, but still lack resources.

So this other Leafer just took what he needed to get to his next destination of Dunbar (where I happen to live). Before he left he mentioned he was off to Dunbar swimming pool, which was a Segway to some further discussion about how it sucks there is no charging at 95% of the areas swimming pools. Ironically in East Lothian there are 2 sports centres/pools with T2 chargers, Musselburgh + North Berwick, but both have been down and abandoned for years now.

So I finished my charge at Wallyford, took exactly what I needed to get home as to let someone else who arrived get on the Rapid, then headed straight home to Dunbar charger, and see the same Leafer from Wallyford again finishing his charge. As before he was very courteous and considerate, and under no pressure was quick to let me on again and I only took what I needed which was 6 minutes worth of charge (to let my wife at home then go straight out on Leaf back up the A1 towards Edinburgh), and in doing so I again passed on the courtesy myself to let another Leafer. This time a 30kW that had just arrived. They commented on how good the camaraderie amongst drivers is. I suppose it is fairly good amongst BEV drivers, but somewhat reduced in wider EV and particularly PHEV terms.

But we should not have to rely on good old "camaraderie" amongst drivers. And while that is lovely, that it even exists and is needed, it only further evidences what is inadequate charger provision in most of Scotland.

To bring this story full circle, had I been able to destination charge at Ocean Terminal Shopping Centre, where I spent several hours, I would have left with 100% and not needed to stop at either (A) Wallyford Rapid, or (B) Dunbar Rapid, and traffic/queuing/waiting time at these chargers would have been significantly reduced for all, win-win so to speak.

And of course if there were 2 or more Rapid's side by side, "camaraderie" would not even come into the equation 90% of the time you need a charge.

I worry about the 40kW Leaf in Scotland... it will see yet another whole new wave of drivers beyond what we saw with the 30kW and 24kW used drivers of last 2 years. The network can't cope with that, and even good old fashioned "camaraderie" won't gloss over an inadequate network.

Will we ever sort out the destination charging in Scotland?

I don't see anything likely happening if your not in Dundee or Aberdeen or the odd other lucky area (a postcode lottery so to speak)?

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:33 pm

roscoe wrote:I would like to see more destination trickle chargers, however since l can do 2--3days between charges in reality i should not need a charger & my leaf would prob be 'icing' a more deserving ev er perhaps someone that cannot get a home chargepoint.

Also there is so much pressure on parking spaces we still havent solved the people parking charging issues.

I guess looking down fondly at dumfries hosp with 40x3kw one has to conceed progress is moving ahead slowly.

Just to say I have been finding EV's using charging spaces as parking spaces becoming a more frequent problem myself recently. I believe it to be a growing problem and Leafers can be the worst for this, but it can be any type of EV. I have taken lots of photos recently on 1 particular local Rapid where it has become a major issue. I have not done anything about it, I just lack the time and energy anymore to fight every instance of crap I encounter. Okay I clock up a fair few miles, but I honestly need a secretary to help me action my BEV driving concerns to the relevant and appropriate authorities/establishments (many of which are not helpful anyway) with all the issues regularly faced with. It could be a full-time job for someone. Just me - or anyone else ever feel like this?

Scally

Postby Scally » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Fair and useful points to make: I guess as I live bang in the middle of the Central Belt (Kilsyth) and do not usually travel more than 70 miles a day I can get to and from most larger Scottish cities without a charge: it is normally only towards the rural periphery that I really need to get a charge, and they are less busy.
However, I do agree: it makes sense for every large car park to have a few destination chargers: ironically Kilsyth has one but I suspect that it is fairly rarely used because it is a small shopping centre: though I do recommend the local attractions like the Burngreen Park for kids, which has a really cool driving layout for them where they can hire bikes etc, and the adventure playground and glen walks at Colzium: the cycle path along the F&C canal is also lovely, and all are within very easy walking/ cycling distance even for little people with very short legs.
Are there stats available anywhere on use of all charging points in Scotland?
PS, if you think you are over-burdened, Noahs-Dad, consider my position: I am the only person in the whole UK to be paid (modestly, one day a week) to promote electric boats and boat charging points - and we also have a significant international membership because we are the oldest, and one of only three or four active electric boat associations in the world.
Frankly, boats are often ignored in planning, but I hope that EVAS and the EBA can work jointly on this in future: I'd be happy to give a short presentation to the Board at some point.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:16 pm

I believe Kilsyth is quite well used, it used to be an important stop for me in the Fluence but now with 125m range I can usually get home, so no stopping to get a takeaway anymore. Data on Charging is available to the site owners so a FoI request will usually get it for you - CPS can of course view all the sites, but not disclose anything other than aggregated data.

I’m sure I recall NeilS reporting from Oslo that electric ferries are very much a hot subject - I also heard a whisper that ScotGov is looking at the possibility for Firth of Clyde services... perhaps you could ask the Transport Minister when he opens next month’s Members meeting?
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 am

Buzby wrote: I also heard a whisper that ScotGov is looking at the possibility for Firth of Clyde services... perhaps you could ask the Transport Minister when he opens next month’s Members meeting?

Our cousins in Scandinavia are proceeding apace with electrical plug-in ferries: we are still a few steps behind: I sure will do if the Chair gives me the floor.

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:41 am

My wife took the Leaf out to a meeting this morning in Glasgow: and by the time she returned the battery was a bit low at 52% so on my way to Anniesland for my own work I stopped at Kirkintilloch rapid to top up from 48% to 75% for ten minutes, left to do some local shopping, and by the time I returned a Zoe was parked up beside me having a sip.
My impression is that our charging system is under real pressure: we do need to lobby for 'charging hubs' in every town and on key routes.

Buzby

Postby Buzby » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:36 pm

I think they know - Hubs have become sexy (ask Dundee!). Broxden is excellent, and I do think they know, adding extra Rapids and Fast posts to take up the strain. We’re a while away from all Rapids having a back up, but the EVA has pointed this out many times, and apart from the Riverside nonsense, I’m feeling positive about it.
- Raymond (Glasgow)
EVA Communications

Return to “Home and Work charging”