Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
membership

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby membership » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:35 pm

There has been a known issue with the iPace on the eVolt compact Rapids, due to a non-compliant implementation of the CCS protocol on the iPace. This has supposedly been fixed by Jaguar, possibly OTA. High Volt issues isn't one that we recall hearing about. @vonredbeard may have answers.....
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

VonRedbeard

Postby VonRedbeard » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 pm

Evening all.

Jaguar built a car which s not compatible with the CCS control board on our older chargers. We have tested extensively with them in Barcelona, looking at firmware changes and so on, but to no avail. Newer CCS boards do work though, and some older charge points have had these fitted in the course of maintenance over the years. All newer 'Raption' models are unaffected.

The reason for the incompatibility is due to the pulse width modulation signals as far as I'm aware. Basically the car isn't saying the right things to the post at the right time, so the communication handshake cannot be completed. Jaguar have pushed the CCS protocols to presumably lessen the time it takes for a handshake, but the older CCS control boards - developed around the time the format became common - do not like this. They follow the CCS protocols rigidly. Newer boards from different manufacturers have a little more leeway.

This is a worldwide issue that we're taking seriously in conjunction with the charge manufacturer. Circontrol have compact rapids everywhere around the globe, and by all accounts the I-Pace is selling well, so it's a problem that will become more prevalent. I have already seen and heard examples of people rejecting I-Paces though due to the CCS failures.

So what's next? Well, Jaguar either need to change their software/firmware to accommodate existing infrastructure, or someone needs to pay for every CCS control board on every affected charger to be replaced. The former option is clearly the most practical and realistic, but I'm not sure Jaguar are willing to take those steps as some communications I've seen appear to deflect the responsibility to the charger manufacturer.

It's like building a new high speed train with wheels set an inch too far apart and expecting Network Rail to modify all the track to accommodate it...

Affected rapids WILL still charge on AC, but you may be there a while.
Bob Murphy
eVolt Business Development Manager (Scotland)

Tweet: @VonRedbeard

NB. All views my own & not those of my employer

MickH

Postby MickH » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:39 am

Unfortunately I tried the new chargers at Skiach Services on the A9 which I think are the new Raption chargers and had the same problem. I was going in to have the regen recall done at Parks Inverness so while I was there asked them to check the DC charging and it charged no problem on their 50kW charger. Not received anything OTA yet so lets hope Jaguar come up with something soon as I know there are many disgruntled owners.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”