Public Charging Problems Log

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Martin Lee

Re: Public Charging Problems Log

Postby Martin Lee » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Is this the right place to record the failure to connect to validation server errors for the eVolt chargers. I noticed that there was a request to log it elsewhere as well as on face book?

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am

lol first public attempt at charging for a while,
result was no surprise over the course of the Saturday fast chargers

eVolt 0 vs Siemens 1

its got so bad one doesn't report nor even get riled or upset anymore

Martin Lee

Postby Martin Lee » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:27 am

Friday 18th January 2019 the rapid charger in St Margarets Hope, Orkney would not accept cards both mine and another person who initially reported it. On Saturday 19th January the charger worked fine for both of us. The other person had been able to charge with the charger started and stopped by CPS on Saturday. I chose to use the nearby AC charge post which worked fine so it wasn't a general problem in the area.

Sorry if this is the wrong place but I got no answer to my request from last weekend.

membership

Postby membership » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:39 pm

Martin Lee wrote:Is this the right place to record the failure to connect to validation server errors for the eVolt chargers. I noticed that there was a request to log it elsewhere as well as on face book?

Yes it is, although it si always helpful to have post numbers and date and time of the issue to help with following up the problem.
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:37 pm

So Shawfair P+R (aka Sherrifhall) situated just off end of Edinburgh city bypass, has 2 x rapid and 2 x T2 posts. I have been charging fine on either rapid for over a year, and they are super reliable to date and have never gone down or had faults as far as I am aware.

Sooooooo… last week I plugged into the rapid on right side and tried to start my charge. But my CPS card came up with that 'card not valid' sort of error you get which is widely assumed as usually related to comms or bugs. I shown the driver who had arrived at same time, and they queried if my card subscription was in date. Which it totally was. So I actually started the charge for their car on the left side Rapid with my card. So my card works fine on the left side rapid.

So the other driver started my charge on the right hand side rapid with their card, worked perfectly. 30 mins later, we both end our charges. And I decide to test my card on the right hand side rapid again, still not being accepted. Works fine on every other public charger lately.

Why is it suddenly not working on this charger? A bit random. I have not contacted CPS yet, is on my to do list. In other similar examples of this 'card not valid' sort of error I and others get, sometimes an emergency stop reset can fix the issue, and sometimes a complete hard reboot fixes it. But its all a lot of faffing about, and a frequent problem. CPS can do more here?

The rapids in question are ABB chargers. And ABB rapids are particularly prone with this sort of issue. Possible could be more prone to old Leaf drivers? But it seems to impact many general drivers.

All part of the game isn't it, fun and nonsense in equal measure.

106_ev

Postby 106_ev » Mon May 27, 2019 4:01 pm

As requested, I'm reporting issues with the new ChargePlace Scotland rapid charger installed in the East Renfrewshire Council public car park at Broom Shops, Newton Mearns:

1) It doesn't meet ChargePlace Scotland's own spec. As a BP Chargemaster Ultracharger, it can't deliver charge on AC and DC simultaneously (violates reg 3.10.4)
2) It is branded in BP Chargemaster livery rather than ChargePlace Scotland, despite having a small ChargePlace Scotland ID sticker on it (violates reg 11.1)

This rapid charger should never have won the tender.

newton mearns.PNG

106_ev

Postby 106_ev » Mon May 27, 2019 4:07 pm

Saturday 18th May: the eVolt rapid charger at Roybridge failed to validate my ChargePlace Scotland card or revert to whitelist. I knew for a fact that this meant that Chargemaster's servers weren't responding properly to the rapid charger, which was perfectly functional. The Chargemaster assistant on CPS' helpline initially told me that the charger was out of comms and that there was nothing they could do, until I gave them the full nine yards explaining what I've written above. It was then that their attitude changed and they suddenly remembered that there was another way that they could start the session. After taking my RFID card number, they manually pinged a message to the charger to start charging, which it did. I then phoned them about 20 minutes later to manually end the session rather than press the emergency stop button. Therefore, two issues were encountered:

1) Chargemaster's servers are in comms with Roybridge but not responding properly to them
2) Chargemaster's helpline initially gave false information and were reluctant to help. It was only months of investigating the failings of ChargePlace Scotland (read: Chargemaster), repeating that evidence back to them and backing them into a corner that meant that I wasn't left stranded; 99% of EV drivers would have needed a flatbed truck in the same situation.

Scally

Postby Scally » Mon May 27, 2019 10:40 pm

OK, well (see other thread) after six years of Leaf Chademo, we have finally migrated to the Kona CCS standard for our third EV: I'm obviously slightly nervous about some of the reports of Ecotricity chargers both in Scotland and Englandshire failing on CCS. What's your advice: give them a try, or avoid them like the plague?
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Chunkybuns

Postby Chunkybuns » Wed May 29, 2019 7:50 am

I tried ecotricity chargers at Scotch Corner and they didn't work. I have heard they have been rolling out an update and some are working now, but I will stick with the Lidl ones when I head south. They were great for us back in Feb.

MickH

Postby MickH » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:01 am

Have an I-Pace and tried my local eVolt rapid at Melvich on the North Coast. Had 2 attempts and both times it failed on "High Voltage Error". Anyone else had problems with these chargers using an I-Pace?

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”