75% of Rapids down in East Lothian

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
noahs-dad

75% of Rapids down in East Lothian

Postby noahs-dad » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:12 pm

The public charging provision in East Lothian that largely covers the A1 main route to England is worse than it has ever been and has gone backwards. Be aware the A1 heading to/from England is not great at the moment and plan accordingly.

75% of the Rapids are down (Wallyford/Haddington/Dunbar) which are all ABB, the only working rapid in the county is now in MacMerry which is an EVOLT, and obviously this and Eyemouth/Berwick-Upon-Tweed have become extremely busy with queueing a normal situation, with such a lack of A1 rapid availability.

Now the East Lothian Council policy has always been to not repair T2 chargers when out of warranty for servicing, and to just abandon them or replace them with new chargers. Too many examples to mention, but the non working T2 at Musselburgh Sports Centre, which has not worked for nearly 5 years now must have a place in the record books?

What really worries me is I met a chap from EVOLT the other night and he said they had a contract for 25 x chargers to be installed in the County, a mix of T2 and Rapid. He can't see the 3 x ABB Rapid units being repaired either now the warranty has expired. We have seen a lot of T2's get abandoned which is one thing tax payer wise, but to just abandon the ABB rapids in East Lothian would be extreme and shocking. They cost approx £60,000 each to install if I remember correctly.

Do any other Scottish Council authorities operate like this with their charging provision strategy? There seems to be no accountability and the spending goes under the radar as nobody within the general public knows anything about electric driving infrastructure, other than the odd elec driver.
Last edited by noahs-dad on Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ScotstounPele

Re: 75% of Rapids down in East Lothian

Postby ScotstounPele » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:24 pm

Agree this is a major concern. A waste both financially and environmentally. I am not aware of other councils doing this though.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:49 pm

One local driver I see at the chargers who drives an i3 is adamant they are trading their car in for a PHEV as in their words "I have had enough". I have been trying to persuade them that is madness and talk them out of it, but I see their frustration and concerns, and can understand.

Another family with a 30kW Leaf who live in my home town Dunbar, live in a rented flat and have no home charging. The 2 x T2 chargers in Dunbar are also down, both have not worked for a long time and have been abandoned. They put a desperate plea out on local Facebook for anyone who could help with 3-pin charging or access to their home charger. I have said they can use my home charging.

Just a couple of examples... there are bound to be a few people who end up getting flat bedded on a very open and windy A1 route. I hope no one gets stuck on Christmas day. The knock on effects of inadequate charging provision in a single condensed area are substantial...

Scally

Postby Scally » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:34 am

Shocking. That said I've had repeated good rapid charges in the last week in Dunoon, Inverary, Arrochar, Balloch, and Greenock: its just a shame that there is no system or method. I'm not surprised people are fed up.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

chris1982

Postby chris1982 » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:07 am

https://twitter.com/cllrstu/status/1072 ... 64736?s=21

Seemed to be some confusion within East Lothian Council who was actually responsible for the chargers

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:36 pm

chris1982 wrote:https://twitter.com/cllrstu/status/1072188279112564736?s=21

Seemed to be some confusion within East Lothian Council who was actually responsible for the chargers

There is no confusion at the Council with those running things and the abandonment then apply for new grant funding strategy. This is just a Councillor from an opposition party who has been asked by one of his constituents to take up the issue. And the Councillor is not really clued up or in the know, Councillor's generally don't have a clue about electric car charging in East Lothian and the state of it or how it works.

Some have been in touch with ELC by phone, email etc and communicating with their contacts. 2 x faulty T2 posts have just been removed from outside the Bleachingfield Community Centre in Dunbar this week. One brand new one T2 has been fitted where one of them were removed, but not yet useable. As said, this is the policy once a charger is out of warranty, and there is a fault that is it. It either gets entirely abandoned for years, or a new one takes it place.

I can see a few flatbed call outs on the A1 this winter, but we don't have any reported stats on such things like that, which are important illustrations of how crap the network can be at times in particular locations. Is not quite Dundee level of provision in my neck of the woods!

mike callender

Postby mike callender » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:13 pm

If the council rapids were part funded by EST then they should have been fixed within 48 hours, Ha!
EST funding agreement:
12.0 MAINTENANCE
12.1 Each charge point shall be covered by a 5 year warranty and annual servicing package. This shall include the requirement to repair out of service charge points within 48 hours, including a site visit when required.

The council are now tweeting that they may not get fixed until February. I'm glad I kept a diesel van as we need this now for East Lothian deliveries. It's a bit sad when the system is broken and hundreds of thousands of people still die from pollution related diseases. You can see why the younger generation, especially, are joining 'Extinction Rebellion' in their droves!

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:59 pm

Some one copied me on an a detailed email reply from a Council contact involved with the public charging, saying ABB would be servicing the 3 x East Lothian ABB rapid chargers in January. Lots of mixed messages really, who knows what will happen.

Be aware the A1 heading South from the start of East Lothian to Tyne, is in a bad state. I drove down to Newcastle and back home at the weekend. The A1 did not get much better heading A1 South. All my staple regular and usually reliable charging stops were down.

Berwick Upon Tweed (ABB Rapid), flakey, took 10 mins to get a charge started.
Stannington Services (ABB Rapid ), no power.
Alnwick Sports Centre (ABB Rapid), down.
Morpeth Town Centre shopping car park near Argos (ABB Rapid), down for 6 weeks now apparently according to a local.

Pretty shambolic state of affairs as the A1 is the main road route from England to Scotland and vice versa. There are connection/networking issues in addition to any individual faults on many of the ABB's. And little seems to be happening.

Side topic, I got charged £1 connection fee for using a T2 in the Yellow car park at the Metro Centre. No big deal, but is the first time I have been charged in North England.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”