Shell Recharge

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Jon Oates

Shell Recharge

Postby Jon Oates » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:29 pm

Shell Recharge is reported to be arriving soon in Scotland (Eglinton Toll, Glasgow):

https://www.glasgowsouthandeastwoodextr ... -1-4846286

Their standard pricing is 25 p/kWh.

noahs-dad

Re: Shell Recharge

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Far too expensive.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:31 am

It does fill a gap of sorts. If you disregard Shields Road rapid (flat fee of £5 to get past barrier and not near many amenities) then there are no rapids in southern Glasgow between Polmadie and Cardonald.

Contactless payment also welcome.

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:17 am

Also coming to Tullos (Aberdeen) and Dunblane. I'm assuming the latter is the Shell station on the A9 between Dunblane and Greenloaning.

https://www.energyvoice.com/otherenergy ... evolution/

Scally

Postby Scally » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:44 am

You can park on the pavement outside Shields Rapid and charge through the fence.
I've done it many times, out of principle and bloody minded-ness.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

roscoe

Postby roscoe » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:27 pm

nice to see more investment up here, I thought our silly free vends would have continued to scare away proper fee based charging

25p/kwh sounds like a fair no nonsense rate for a rapid, hopefully some of the money is used for maintaining the units

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:07 pm

The shiny new Shell rapid at Eglinton Toll is now up and running. Slightly awkward space to reverse into if your charge port is at the rear of your car. They are currently running an offer of a free cup of Costa coffee with each charge (there's a sign on the charger, though the woman in the kiosk hadn't been told about it). The charge starting process and initialisation is the fastest I've seen on any rapid - I used my New Motion disc. It's too close to home for me to make regular use, but if it's rolled out to other Shell garages, it'll be a useful additional network.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:03 pm

What's a New Motion Disc?

Jon Oates

Postby Jon Oates » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm

noahs-dad wrote:What's a New Motion Disc?

A small plastic RFID disc which you can clip to a keyring. If you're travelling in mainland Europe, NewMotion is one of the access providers. I've had my disc for about 18 months. Looking at their website, it looks as though the discs have been discontinued in favour of 'EV Charge Cards'. Obviously you need a NewMotion account to use it. I found it handy in the Netherlands, but given that Shell accepts contactless bank debit/credit cards, getting a NewMotion card would be pretty pointless if you're only driving in the UK.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:03 pm

Not exactly a common sight, never seen anyone use one before or mention it. Not the worst concept either, I would prefer that to a RFID card or in addition to a RFID card.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”