Installing public chargers

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
Gordon

Installing public chargers

Postby Gordon » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:27 pm

My father wishes to install public charging infrastructure in the car park of his church/community hall. He is asking me for information regarding grants and costs and other than suggesting talking to the Energy Saving Trust I have no real advice. Could anybody signpost me to some information sources?

membership

Re: Installing public chargers

Postby membership » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:51 pm

Don't be afraid to contact CPS on their contact page to request advice and suggestions. https://secure.chargeplacescotland.org/weblink-contactus?purpose=enquire&scheme=cps

Useful contacts for would include Bob Murphy at SWARCO eVolt, find him over on our Facebook group.
Other charge point installation companies including BMM Energy, Jorro, EVi and others will offer a choice of technologies and prices.

Workplace charging funding guidance is available here:
https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/722541/workplace-charging-scheme-guidance.pdf

EVA Scotland members have had positive experiences with these companies and we hope some of them will write about their experience and recommendations, for both domestic and commercial installations in this thread.

He is also welcome to contact us at info@eva.scot with questions once he has joined us!
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

Gordon

Postby Gordon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:30 am

Many thanks, I have passed these on.

Neil-K

Postby Neil-K » Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:34 pm

Gordon,

Something to think about: who is going to use the chargers and when? The reason being that you will have a choice as to how much you are going to spend and you may want to consider putting in a larger number of smaller chargers rather than a few medium sized (FAST) ones or a single RAPID one.

So if you are planning on supporting the charging of a congregation then there will be a crowd of people there at the same time all wanting some charge. They cannot do 30 mins of a RAPID and nip out in turn during the service to swap cars over! A line of slower and cheaper chargers might be the best solution. Alternatively you might be wanting people to drop in for a coffee and a 30 min charge might be just the thing.

I would strongly suggest you look at the power supply, the likely demographics of the drivers (commuters, or retirees) and the sorts of herd behaviour you might encounter. Putting in a bank of £500 chargers at 16A along the wall might be a better use of funds than a single 'council type' FAST post for £5000...

Neil

Scally

Postby Scally » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:36 pm

Some community halls are mainly used by local people, most of whom will charge at home, others host weddings and other functions attracting people from a wider area. For example, our electric boat association meets at a lovely church-run community centre in the Midlands, and whilst I take the train, we do have some members attending with electric cars who would benefit from a 7 kWh charging point.
I'd guess that the main users will be the people with electric cars living closest to the venue, who might be on there every night getting some free charge: the question is how to plan for this?
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”