Aberdeen(Westhill) to Great Yarmouth(Gorleston)

Discussion of long distance EV trips originating, finishing in or passing through Scotland
Chunkybuns

Aberdeen(Westhill) to Great Yarmouth(Gorleston)

Postby Chunkybuns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:04 pm

So, just returned from a trip to Goreston, just outside Great Yarmouth and whilst the car performed well, I have to say the trip was a little hairy. Not sure why the electric Highway chargers don't like the Hyundai Kona but they just refuse to connect or charge.
Trip went Westhill (home 100%)- Abington (85%) - Knaresborough(Lidl)(85%) - Kings Lynn (added 40kW) - Norwich (Lidl to 90%)-Gorleston
Home Leg - Gorleston (100%) - Knaresborough (85%) - Abington (80%) - Forfar (15kW added) - Westhill (8% remaining)

Time for outward leg can be ignored as we chose to remain in Norwich and have a sleep whilst charging so we would have a maximum charge.

Return Leg took 12 hours 50 mins 9h 37mins of which was driving time. We also had a couple of non charging pee stops.

The charging was all free with the exception of the Kings Lynn stop which cost me a tenner for 40kWh of charge (25p kWh). Don't think I needed it, but the last time I drove down there were road works that sent me on a 30 mile detour during which I nearly ran out of diesel, so I wasn't for taking any chances. I have to say the A66 to Scotch corner takes a fair whack out of the battery.

Chunkybuns

Re: Aberdeen(Westhill) to Great Yarmouth(Gorleston)

Postby Chunkybuns » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:07 pm

Almost forgot, the weather was bloody horrendous with a strong headwind to Penrith and 2 degree temps. Not to mention the snow, sleet and driving rain all the way to Glasgow. Lets just say, my determination and nerves arent strong enough to ever try that in my old Leaf.

Scally

Postby Scally » Sun Mar 17, 2019 1:10 pm

I've done that trip (or similarish) twice from Kilsyth to Cambridge in the 30 kWh Leaf, and once in the 24 kWh Leaf, and probably charged at least six or seven times each way. But that was in summer. Agree about the A66 , but the weather is a critical factor too. What was the longest leg on one charge? About 200 miles? Not bad!
Lucky you, we are still waiting on Kona delivery - current promise is end -April.
General Secretary of the Electric Boat Association, founded in 1984, with members worldwide.
http://www.eboat.org.uk/

Chunkybuns

Postby Chunkybuns » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm

I wouldn't have the resolve to undertake that journey in either my old leaf of a 30kWh one. Hat off to you.
Yes Gorleston to Knaresborough was the longest leg 207 miles with 9 miles left on the GOM.

Return to “Long distance EV trips”