V2G

A place to discuss Renewable Energy and EV charging from Renewables.
ScotstounPele

V2G

Postby ScotstounPele » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:25 pm

I've signed up for a pilot V2G scheme with Ovo. I recently moved to a place with off-street parking so it made sense to get the most modern (and potentially grid-balancing) tech as a home charger.

Unless anyone objects, I will keep this forum updated on my experience.

Chunkybuns

Re: V2G

Postby Chunkybuns » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:47 am

Sounds good, I'm interested in this tech. Be good to hear your experiences.

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Sat Oct 19, 2019 8:00 am

Sorry for delay in replying but progress has been slow, due to various site works required before charger can be installed- electrical bonding and ground works to get power from fusebox to the corner of the garden (these would be necessary even without V2G of course). We've also been getting a smart meter and emailing Kaluza (Ovo's V2G subcontractor) about the location of the ethernet hub etc. Due to our particular layout of fusebox, prospective charger site and ethernet hub, there is a fair amount of preparatory work to be done, mostly at our own cost (I think Ovo may pay ethernet costs).

These issues are more or less resolved and I am getting a site visit on 6th November to hopefully bring forward actual V2G installation.

In the mean time, Ovo have apparently responded to a muted response to V2G from EV owners by increasing their incentives. These now include paying punters a £75 cash startup fee at outset of the 2-year trial, and increasing the price paid for electricity exported by the car from 17p/kWh to 30p/kWh.

I gather that 24kWh Leaf V2G users have reported gaining around £40-50 per month by exporting electricity to the grid, since 30p/kWh pricing came in.

A lengthier discussion of all of this (by active V2G users - I haven't contributed) is available on Speakev. Best way to find the relevant threads is search for the word Kaluza.

Chunkybuns

Postby Chunkybuns » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:23 am

Forgive me If I misunderstand how this works, and I'm not judging but....

Does this mean that you are able to obtain a free charge from public chargers and then sell that charge back to the grid at home? :?:

ScotstounPele

Postby ScotstounPele » Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:44 pm

Chunkybuns - good question but the answer is basically no. The Ts and Cs I have signed up to clearly state:
* I have to use the V2G unit as my main charger
* I will be kicked off the scheme if I sell more to the grid than I buy back in any calendar month.
Obviously some use of other chargers (rapids, the occasional destination charge elsewhere) is inevitable but rampant buy-and-sell tactics would be a breach of Ts and Cs and would doubtless be picked up on by the energy company.

My V2G installation is booked for 11th December.

Return to “Renewable Energy and EVs”