Highland council rapid charger plans

Discussion of the location and operation of public EV charging infrastructure in Scotland
ScotstounPele

Highland council rapid charger plans

Postby ScotstounPele » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:13 pm

Does anyone know (or have contact details for someone who does) what new rapid charger installations are planned in the next six months in the Highland council area?

Our summer holiday will be to Stornoway and Eigg, and it involves getting from Stornoway to Mallaig in a single day. Whilst ferry timetables are challenging enough, I am keen to weigh up the rapid charger benefits of travelling Stornoway-Tarbert-Uig-Armadale-Mallaig (using 2 ferries) as opposed to Stornoway-Ullapool-Inverness-Fort William-Mallaig (one ferry but a longer journey time).

I am aware which rapid chargers are already present thanks to the usual apps, but I am just wondering before I book ferries if anyone knows of any further rapid chargepoints that are likely to be installed on either route before July?

membership

Re: Highland council rapid charger plans

Postby membership » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:40 pm

Not as such. There is generally a reluctance to publish details, not necessarily always for sensible reasons. Part is the occasional need to establish wayleaves. If you advertise prices tend to go up if the perceived value changes. That can be difficult to work around in the grant funding. However, the list we have had sight of shows growth on the eA9, and to the north of Ullapool. That said there were two additional 50kW units planned for Fort William, but timescales rest with the Council. Others of interest are Armadale and Glenelg, but no news yet.... Don't see any major worries aside from the mad traffic on Skye. Broadford is at the Co-op and there is a nice walk to the North West.....
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

ScotstounPele

Re: Highland council rapid charger plans

Postby ScotstounPele » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:52 pm

Thanks. The additional capacity at Fort William is very welcome indeed; I only hope that it will be in place by July. Further capacity at Drumnadrochit would have been next on the wishlist.

I will be swapping my Leaf24 with my parents' Leaf30 for the trip to further reduce risk. Haven't booked ferries yet but both routes look doable especially of Fort William capacity is increased.

Return to “Public charging infra-structure”