Home charger installation

Discussion of charging at home and at work.
bablefish

Re: Home charger installation

Postby bablefish » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:36 am

To have the house fuse upgraded,

is that a Scottish power thing and if so it it a simple process, or is it something my Sparkie should be able to do?

mgill

Postby mgill » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:17 am

Yes, Scottish Power would have to do it. On a single phase supply, having an electric hob on, electric shower and car charger can quickly use up the available power. Uprating may be the best option.

Can't remember cost but I don't think it was too excessive.

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:00 pm

If arranging your own installation, the Rolec wallmounted chargepoints are available in a variety of colours:
from here:
https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/hom ... 7-2kw-ip65

We hope to move house soon, and having already received a grant probably won`t get another one! We`ll just buy a wallpod and get a local electrician to fit it.

noahs-dad

Postby noahs-dad » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 pm

mgill wrote:Yes, Scottish Power would have to do it. On a single phase supply, having an electric hob on, electric shower and car charger can quickly use up the available power. Uprating may be the best option.

Can't remember cost but I don't think it was too excessive.

Not disagreeing for any other reason than, I think there is a lot of myth and urban legend here, probably perpetuated by internet forum talk. Using my own home as an example, approx. elec usage is:

elec hob = 2 kWh
elec shower = 10 kWh
car charger = 6.6 kWh (can be much less)

I think above Is fairly typical elec usage. Thats only 18.6kWh and not going to blow up the street by any stretch. I live in a 100% electric household, admittedly there is a lot of solar, but there are days of the year where it does zilch. My heating is all elec. too, and generally using the most elec, when there is no solar generation and cold weather.

I also had approval and permissions from the IDNO that oversees my area (not Scottish Power Energy Networks). I am self aware of elec usage none the less and would not even have lots of high usages elec devices etc on in tandem at anywhere near what may be deemed to be an "issue" perhaps. I don't happen to use the elec. shower as it happens, it just so happened to come with house.

Interested in what other people think, if they agree/disagree?

membership

Postby membership » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:31 pm

The cut-out fuse at your house should only be upgraded by the DNO. The fuse carrier is usually sealed, with the meter reader supposed to check the integrity of the seal, looking for unscrupulous thieves.

Not every home will have a cable suitable for upgrading. A modern property will almost certainly have a suitably sized cable, but older ones, would need to have to the records checked. Also, it isn't wise to allow upgrades to every property in a street. With a typical modern substation feeder having no more than a 400A fuse feeding 30 or more properties, if they were each just to plug in one EV at 3.5kW, then the fuse would fail in a relatively short period. At 7kW, minutes at most. This is why DNO/DSOs are looking at smart managed charging. Otherwise some serious money will have to be spent to upgrade networks to support high EV penetration. In many areas just 1 in 4 houses with an EV is going to be problematic.

Even taking the noahs-dad's 10kW shower out, just the remaining 8.6kW from each house will result in current as much as 2.5 times the source fuse rating.

Diversity is applied to normal household loads, but EVs are a very particular case, with a genuine risk of everyone plugging in at once when they get home as the worst case scenario. This is why we recommend setting your charge timer to NOT charge between about 17:00 and sometime between 22:00 and 01:00, to help spread the load just now. This will also help contribute to slowing the price rises. Set the timer even if you have Home Energy Storage, for as noahs-dad said, no solar (or no stored energy) when you use most power will require power from the grid.
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

membership

Postby membership » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:35 pm

Pikachu wrote:If arranging your own installation, the Rolec wallmounted chargepoints are available in a variety of colours:
from here:
https://evonestop.co.uk/collections/hom ... 7-2kw-ip65

We hope to move house soon, and having already received a grant probably won`t get another one! We`ll just buy a wallpod and get a local electrician to fit it.

One grant per person, so you personally won't get another one. Wherever you move, make sure your electrician understands the Code of Practice for chargers. Most outside ones will now need what they call TT earthing and will need a local earth rod. Plenty about this all over the internet.
EVA Scotland Membership
membership@eva.scot

Pikachu

Postby Pikachu » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:06 am

One grant per person, so you personally won't get another one. Wherever you move, make sure your electrician understands the Code of Practice for chargers. Most outside ones will now need what they call TT earthing and will need a local earth rod. Plenty about this all over the internet.

I`ll get my wife to apply. :lol:
Current installation, done by/for Jorro, was simply a cable run from the distribution box to the Rolex unit. No obvious local earth rod, but house was built in 2011 so maybe earthing was deemed adequate. An additional `trip switch` was fitted, and a test certificate provided.

Return to “Home and Work charging”